Need some help with a portal.
  • I'd like to create a portal with a blog, forum, and main site (front page) all on one domain. Anybody know what CMS I can use to accomplish this?

I was thinking something along the lines of this:

blog.domain.com (wordpress)
    forum.domain.com (free forum software)
    domain.com (splash page? directory script? joomla?) (I'd Like to make some multiple static pages with this) (example: domain.com/about, domain.com/articles,)

Is this doable or do you think the buyer will think he has too much to do? I mean this can create almost 10 + revenue streams.

Thanks,
    Fruit
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2010-05-07 10:47:47
  • Vbulletin comes to mind, but I don't think it's really worth the investment(although it could raise site value). I think you're right to use free solutions. They're good enough.
    From where I see it, I think the buyer will feel like he's taking over an empire and really get the impression that he's in for a deal. That's a pretty sweet idea for increasing value.
  • Yea but vbulletin doesn't offer a seperate blog plugin and I'm not going to shell out 150$ for a license (I'm using only money I've made from site flipping).

Thanks for your opinion. I guess I'll just have to test some things out.
  • Yeah, vbulletin would probably be an overkill. If I were you I'd go with a wordpress + mybb solution without thinking twice, set the whole thing up and then decide what to do with the front page when everything else is there. Quite frankly, I'd even prefer having wordpress handle the first page as well - just make a static post, set up pages (you can use mod_rewrite so that the urls would look nice), include some bits that are only shown on the front page and not on post pages, and you should be good.
  • Yea I was thinking of just having wordpress for the blog & front page but having different databases for both of them. That's a pretty good idea, thanks,

Fruit