The "Look At What I found" Thread
  • I thought it would be cool to create a thread featuring flippa listings on a daily basis. We can chime in on what we think about the auctions, new companies (sellers), and learn from successful and unsuccessful auctions.

I'll Begin:

http://flippa.com/auctions/93119/2-inco ... -potential

Sold At BIN: 699

Some things I've learned:

1. The "Gaming" niche is easy traffic and can make some decent revenue just with adsense.

2. The idiot could have done a better job with monetization. I would have used the ad4game ad network for monetization rather then Adsense or Infolinks.

3. Extremely easy to replicate. (I've already done it)

Fruit
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2010-05-09 12:27:34
  • This is an excellent idea. One of my favourite tactics for finding new opportunities is watching what my competitors do well or better than me. This is also why I don't recommend publicly disclosing all your secrets too.

If I purchase a site in a niche that is new to me I will always head over to Flippa and see what similar sites have done (well and badly). You can learn a lot from Google Analytics: what keywords are they targeting? What sites are sending them traffic? All of this information is valuable and can easily be replicated. Same with monetization: How are they monetized? Are they under monetized? Could I do a better job?

Find out what they do well and copy it. Find out what they do badly and improve it. Before long you have a winning formula and are always up to date with market trends and the movements of your competitors.
  • Found an interesting site that sold on flippa. It was listed 3 times prior to this winning. . . That's extremely odd. On top of all that it sold for 200$ less then the first time some one one it.

http://flippa.com/auctions/93575/3YR-Ol ... -days-only

Goes to show that the world of warcraft niche is alive and kicking.

Fruit
  • Classic case of poor seller due diligence.

From what I can tell, here's how it went:

Listed site once (listing 1)
    Site sold
    Buyer didn't pay
    Raised dispute
    Listed again without waiting for Flippa (listing 2 - didn't meet reserve)
    Flippa reslisted after dispute (listing 3)
    Final listing which sold as seen here (listing 4)

Unfortunately, these things can happen on Flippa with non-paying bidders and can get quite messy. Hence the low price.

Looks like the buyer got a bit of a bargain there, especially with 85% of traffic from search engines.
  • Nice site, horrible sales copy. Bet he could have made a bit more if he had worded the auction more professionally.

Theme related sites have, and always will do well - especially if they rank in the SERPs.

High price multiple on this is justified by consistent earnings and SE traffic.