How much Link Building is too much?
  • Hey folks,

I decided to some link building for a new micro niche site i have started.This is my link building plan.

Week 1-Index it using Traffic bug and do a little bit of social bookmarking.

Week 2-High PR profile links,Ezine articles and a little more social bookmarking.

Week 3-Post on High PR blogs,Squidoo lenses and more social bookmarking.

Week 4-Track low performing pages and optimize it.

The basic question is will it kill the site and get it sandboxed,the site being a new one?

Or do you suggest any other ways that could be effective...Particularly for a new site..

How much link building is too much for a new site?
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2010-08-14 13:13:39
  • Hum.. i think you will not get sandboxed. Do not do more than 10 backlinks a day and for now and do not do high pagerank baclinks to start.
  • Hey Fozer0l,

That sounds like a pretty good plan. I think its very important to get a system down for building your backlinks. I don't believe there is such a thing as too much link building for a new site. I've built thousands of links to a site the first day I bought it, never built backlinks again to it, and it sits at number 2 for its keyword. Also all of those backlinks were the same exact type of backlinks. (software directory)

Don't listen to the "don't do more than 10 backlinks a day" stuff. That's just a myth. Also I would much rather have high PR backlinks before I start throwing a bunch of PR none backlinks at my sites. Getting high PR backlinks just increases your trust rank that much more.

Like I said, it sounds like you have a good plan right now. Just remember that depending on the keyword you may have to do more backlinking or you could even do less.

Regarding traffic bug. I tried it out when it first launched and canceled it a few months later. I wasn't really happy with the results, so I hope it's doing better now for you.

Good luck.
  • Thanks aeLED and Thanks Brent for helping me out.

@Brent-I brought a few softwares like scrapebox and SEnuke to automate the work of manually finding the high quality links but was a little hesitant to give a blast.Now that you say it's a myth i'll use them on couple of my sites and wait for the rankings :)
  • No problem fozer0l. When building your backlinks sometimes your website will drop out of rankings, but don't let that scare you or make you think your website is "sandboxed". Just keep up the backlink building and your website WILL come back at a higher position than where it was when it fell from rankings.
  • I have Xrumer and i know what im saying. Simples as that:

-Your website its new, get indexed.
    -In the same day you have 50/100/500/1000 backlinks, the second day the same, the ..... You will get sanboxed.

Brent Jacoby, are you telling me that a new website can get 100 or more backlinks a day. But you are wrong. You think like that because you build 100 backlinks and google do not see it and take some days or weeks, but if google see 100 backlinks a day for a new website, probably you will have problems.

;)
  • Thanks for this discussion. I'd like us to continue to discuss back linking strategies and the proper uses of the various automation tools. We have a community here and a real opportunity to help each other.
    So, for instance what are (or perhaps links to sites that already explain this) the best practices for using:
    SENuke
    Xrumer
    Scrapebox
    The Incansoft bots
    SERPS Assist (which I know Justin uses)
    ETC.

Buddy
    PS If members here have these tools, could you provide access (for a fee, of course) to members whereby we can try before we buy?
  • Look aeLED. It's obvious you have your own opinion about what works. My suggestion for everyone is to test out different methods and see what works for you. That's what I have done.. and it works great.

I don't build thousands of links to all of my new sites the very first day and then just stop. That was just a test to see what would happen and you know what it didn't hurt me at all. I've also tested throwing a ton of spammy links to some of my sites and none of them were hurt. Some of them improved greatly from it.

Matt Cuts has constantly said that there is no way a webmaster can control what type of backlinks he gets and how many he gets. So aeLED. If you are stuck at number 2 for a keyword do you do an Xrumer blast to the number 1 site to sandbox it?

I'm not wrong, because what I say isn't stuff I made up. It's things I have done myself and I have seen what has worked for me. Like I said... you are entitled to your own opinion.

[quote="aeLED"]
    I have Xrumer and i know what im saying. Simples as that:

-Your website its new, get indexed.
    -In the same day you have 50/100/500/1000 backlinks, the second day the same, the ..... You will get sanboxed.

Brent Jacoby, are you telling me that a new website can get 100 or more backlinks a day. But you are wrong. You think like that because you build 100 backlinks and google do not see it and take some days or weeks, but if google see 100 backlinks a day for a new website, probably you will have problems.

;)
  • "If you are stuck at number 2 for a keyword do you do an Xrumer blast to the number 1 site to sandbox it?"

Two Things, first xrumer is to build links, not to sanbox websites, everything will depend of your forums/blog list. Second, maybe i will not get it sanboxed, but i could make it drop on rank, depend of the site.

You can build a list of -2 -1 forums (Spam forums) and do a blast with your competitor website, but you need to make google see those links, not just blast it. You need to know how to use xrumer.
  • "If you are stuck at number 2 for a keyword do you do an Xrumer blast to the number 1 site to sandbox it?"

That was a sarcastic question.
  • lol ok.. ;)
  • Thank you guys, for all your suggestions.I'll test them on my site and let you know the results soon :) . Meanwhile let's keep the thread on topic and as it may help someone who is finding it hard to build backlinks.