• Alright,

After a few hours of searching I found a suitable website.

I want to keep everyone informed on my first short term flip.

I purchased a decent looking PR3 website off of DP in the open source niche for $120.

Traffic is low >500 visits a month.

However, I can probably raise the traffic through legal and effective means to bring this number up.

The only improvements needed I think are some monetization methods as currently there are none.

Selling links, placing some CPA, and getting some more traffic should be able to net about $60-$80 a month.

If I can get even 3 months revenue worth for this site, I think it will be quite successful with good marketing.

Wish me luck.
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2010-09-07 15:47:04
  • Okay,

Transaction went smoothly. Made first mistake, didn't check copyscape, all content ripped from a wikia page. My fault, but easily replaced with better content anyway.

Google analytics installed, and hopefully I can get some numbers going with adsense as well, every dollar counts here after all.

Going to start selling some links over at DP. Wish me luck.
  • Gud luck man, i will hear from u
  • Wishing you luck
  • Sounds like a decent start - good luck!
  • Next Update.

Got some hits for selling links to my site. I figure if I can generate at least $40 for one month of links, I can get 3 months revenue extra for it.

That means an extra $120 for my site, which would have me break even for the moment.

How much value does a PR3 add to a site anyway?
  • I dont know, but u have quite a good right now
    Cool, i try to learn fromu
  • w00t!

I just saved myself a few hours of work. I was trying to sell ten links at $7 bucks a piece, but someone just bought a 6 month link for $40 which was my goal anyway to earn.

Also, one of the buyers didn't want to buy a link because it's hosted on Blogger. It has its own domain name, but the hosting is simply by blogger. Will this affect my sale? Should I transfer it to other hosting?
  • [quote="NikGoodrich"]
    w00t!

I just saved myself a few hours of work. I was trying to sell ten links at $7 bucks a piece, but someone just bought a 6 month link for $40 which was my goal anyway to earn.

Also, one of the buyers didn't want to buy a link because it's hosted on Blogger. It has its own domain name, but the hosting is simply by blogger. Will this affect my sale? Should I transfer it to other hosting?

Don't stop selling links just yet - it's easy profit if you can keep doing it. It's good to be able to show revenue but at the sort of price you will be getting, a few more $7 will add up nicely :)

And yes, I would always move it to my own hosting.
  • [quote="NikGoodrich"]
    w00t!

Where'd you offer your links for sale?
  • he put it DP, i think
  • [quote="maninwhite"]
    he put it DP, i think

You might think that, but I hardly see any link sales deals going down on DP, nor do the threads offering them there have many views.
  • [quote="Amp"]
    [quote="maninwhite"]
    he put it DP, i think

You might think that, but I hardly see any link sales deals going down on DP, nor do the threads offering them there have many views.

That's because most are sold privately via PM. No-one wants to be seen publicly buying links and same goes for those who sell links. You need to be discrete.
  • Yeah, I posted on DP, but never gave out details, that's always through PM. I just give the basics. It's hard to get links anywhere though.
  • Transferred to private hosting and added some new content to make it appear fresher. Now I'm going to write the sales copy. Doing some research right now to see what looks good and what sells.
  • cool, i also plan to flip my turn key site this weekend, let see how you doing...
  • Just finished the sales copy, gonna list the site tonight. Wish me luck. I've made a lot of mistakes and if I'm break even I'd be pretty happy.[hr]
    Listed the site. http://flippa.com/auctions/103923/40-a- ... no-reserve?

Critiques would be nice.
  • So it's currently at $70 bids after purchasing featured and featured has been up for over 10 hours and probably will be up for another 10, not bad really. A couple of snipe bids kept the auction going. I'm going to bed now, hopefully it'll keep climbing.
  • Yeah, good luck mate! 2 bids pending there I can see :)
  • You forgot to include PR3 in your title. It adds great value to your sale if you have PR.
  • I guess I forgot that, oh well, live and learn.

Currently at $140, I'm break even on money right now so everything coming is going to be profit.
  • wow, i see that now u are at 160$ bid cool,
    so how much profit already?
  • So Nik, so far it's been $120 paid for the site, $19 for a listing, $29 for featuring and then $40 back for selling links for a total outlay of about $130?

That puts you about $30 in profit so far with a little left to go on your auction - not too bad at all considering it's your first attempt. It gets much easier once you've done a few!
  • I want to encourage everyone to check out the sales letter template Bryon and Thomas provide on the site. Also see Brent's in the first success story. In my research I find that although revenue is generally King, a great sales page sells the site. Without it, you're just not going to make as much.
    In other words, don't reinvent the wheel.
  • Tada!

Thomas is correct with the fees so I don't need to relist them. I did get a $20 credit though from the book, but let's pretend that doesn't count in this case since I paid $20 for new hosting for the month (that can be reused though).

Profit made: $22

Now I know that's not a lot, but I already figured out a lot of what I did wrong.

1. WAY overpaid for the site in the first place. I found similar sites going for $40, so there's an extra $80 that could be made.

2. Better sales copy (it can always get better after all, should have done what Billy suggested)

3. Should have sold more links. I made 5 months revenue with the sale. Selling $20 more in links would have netted me an extra $100, so it pays to be patient even if selling links takes a butt load of time (not as easy as the book says, no offense intended).

4. Brought in some traffic, even if only a little.

5. Ad adsense (it doesn't hurt at all and if in the week you earn $5, that's an extra $25 to be made, every dollar gets multiplied)

Thanks for those offering help, although this didn't pay off the ebook yet, it opened the door and helped me learn a lot.

BTW, got the money in paypal pretty good and should get some good feedback, good feedback = more customers cha-ching
  • Good work! Profit+lessons learned... can only happen if you just DO IT!
  • Hey nick,
    What do mean by $40 for a 6 month link.Does it mean that it's a recurring payment for every month for $40 or does it happen once in 6 months? And how many links for $40?
  • No I sold a link for $40 for six months on my site (now owned by someone else), once that 6 months is up, he'll take the link off of his site. If the man wants anotther 6 month link he'll have to pay it again.
  • I too brought a site in DP lately and i'm selling links for $7 a link(Following you nik ;) ) and four people were interested in it.It's a health blog www.gymcrossfit.com PR3.

However one guy sent me a PM like this..."Would you be interested in selling blogposts? and if so how much if i provide the article." How much do i offer him a post for.

And another guy asked

"Are these blogroll links or single page links (I prefer single page)?
    I'd be interested in 6-12 months if it's not blogroll."

Does he mean that he want permalinks?
    I'm new to selling links as everything in IM. Please give your suggestion and pricing.
  • he, nice site, i was target this site before, but as i remember , it cost more than 80$, right?
  • I've stickied this thread as I think it's a perfect example of how to take action and get started. And more importantly - how to identify mistakes and do better next time around.

Good job Nik and thanks for the thread!
  • Yay, I feel so special. I hope people can learn from my mistakes.
  • Great job Nik. Btw Any answers for my previous post here?
  • I don't know what a blogroll is to be honest so I can't answer that one.

The other guy wants to do a "guest blog" which means you would post an article and then link back to that guy's site like.

"blah blah blah blah and to know more visit Mike's blog at blog.com"

It gives the link more credibility rather than just a link that points somewhere for no reason.

I would charge him $20 for a guest blog that he wrote himself or $30 - $40 if you write it (or outsource it for $3 if you want)
  • blog roll is more space in the sidebar where u list all related or important blogs which u could sell as spots for $$
  • Ah, ok, thank you Pavan.
  • wow...this thread is really motivating.

one question though...wen you sold the site did you ask the new owner to keep the link active for 6 months?
    what will you do if he takes it off? will you give the money back?...I mean you have no control over the link anymore so the new owner can take it down anytime he wants.

thanks
  • I asked him to keep the link on, however it's outside my control now, this is just a risk you have to take.