How much do you charge for consulting?
  • I have someone that bought a site from me and they are new to the whole IM thing so they wanted to hire me to do some consulting with them.

I have never sold someone consulting before, so I have no clue how much to charge.

I know it's really up to me and how much I feel my time is worth so there's no right or wrong answer here, but I'm just looking for a ballpark estimate of what some of you charge that do consulting for people.

All input is appreciated.

Thanks.
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2010-08-24 19:34:08
  • 100$/hours

Lolz, i wish i could do that. But u can try
  • 100 an hour is a fair starting point. I have some clients who pay substantially more, and some pay less. I'd be more inclined to charge less if I felt it was going to be a longer term mutually beneficial relationship. You don't really want to go much higher unless you are dealing with offline clients.
  • [quote="Thomas"]
    100 an hour is a fair starting point. I have some clients who pay substantially more, and some pay less. I'd be more inclined to charge less if I felt it was going to be a longer term mutually beneficial relationship. You don't really want to go much higher unless you are dealing with offline clients.

Thanks for the response Thomas.

I too was thinking somewhere around the $100 mark, but I wasn't sure if that would be too much especially since he's new and maybe doesn't quite realize how much some people charge for consulting work.

I think I'll present him with $100 and see how it goes and if I have to negotiate a little lower that's fine.

If anyone else also has experience with upselling consulting to people that bought your sites, I would love to hear your side of things too and what you charge.
  • @Thomas- How about an template, since we are new to this. . .you know ;)
  • I don't tend to hard sell my consulting services, only if people ask or specifically approach me. Two reasons:

- Exclusivity adds value

- I'm just too busy to be consulting for 100s of clients

If they ask I'm happy to give them a price. Don't low ball it as the most valuable thing you can give someone is your time.
  • [quote="Thomas"]
    I don't tend to hard sell my consulting services, only if people ask or specifically approach me. Two reasons:

- Exclusivity adds value

- I'm just too busy to be consulting for 100s of clients

If they ask I'm happy to give them a price. Don't low ball it as the most valuable thing you can give someone is your time.

Yeah I agree. The guy personally asked me to do consulting with him because he saw I knew what I was talking about and he's new to online marketing and needs some guidance. I didn't even bring it up or pitch him or anything which is cool.

I decided to go with $100 per hour and he agreed, so I think that's a good price point.