Need advice on my possible first flip...
  • All right, I bought this domain on the spur of the moment a while back: entrepreneuralfitness.com.

I figured out a concept that made sense with the name (see the pun?), and created a membership site around it.

Members pay $2 for a seven-day trial, $17 for a lifetime membership after that.

Wordpress-based, here are some screenshots of the "inside":

Welcoming post.

Lesson index.

About.

Forum.

A bit of one of the posts.

All content is unique, written by me, and really long, thorough and detailed. There are already 8K words of lessons scheduled (see the index -- those are the ones scheduled).

FIRST: Can I really sell this site? How much for? How can I increase the sale price?

SECOND: Is the fact that I tried unsuccessfully to list it before on Flippa here (I didn't feature it and didn't rotate the tags, among other rookie mistakes) going to be a black mark? How can I best get rid of it?

I got four bids, the last for $90, but I didn't accept it. I'd written way too much to accept the price, just for the time spent writing alone. I'm a bit attached and I want to see it go for more (I don't usually get emotionally attached to anything, let alone websites, but this is an exception, lol).

Thanks so much for any insights. :)
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2010-08-29 10:59:44
  • Thats actually a really nice concept. I would be reluctant to sell it without some decent monetization in place. Not sure if you can do a free 7 day trial with an automatic payment of $17 after the trial is up. Think that might work better than a $2 trial. If not then I would lower the $2 to $1 and increase the price to $27 or even $47.

I would also list the site on Clickbank, which is why I suggest increasing the price to $47, and then looking for affiliates at 70% commission. You could possibly even have a $47 per year recurring fee although that might be pushing it. You could also sell membership as a WSO and then use that as a method of getting affiliates.

I suspect you could sell the site quite easily once it is creating an income. If it is just the site with no income, no traffic and the content then I suspect the price will only be in around the $90 - $200 range depending on the quality of the material.

Another alternative is to change the model to a weekly lesson but you pay monthly for a finite period of time.

I really like it and if you decide not to sell it I would love to help you monetize it!

Can't answer your second question re Black Marks. I suspect you just need to turn the negative into a positive. Something like it was listed on Flippa before with no income and reached $90, now it has x income with potential for much more as our affiliates grow so is easily worth a bin price of whatever you decide, and if you hit my bin price I will write another x articles.

Good Luck
  • Don't get attached to sites, you can't make money that way. Find out why people are only bidding $90 for it, see if there is a demand. Sometimes though you just have to cut your losses and move on.
  • [quote="justin"]
    Thats actually a really nice concept. I would be reluctant to sell it without some decent monetization in place. Not sure if you can do a free 7 day trial with an automatic payment of $17 after the trial is up. Think that might work better than a $2 trial. If not then I would lower the $2 to $1 and increase the price to $27 or even $47.

I would also list the site on Clickbank, which is why I suggest increasing the price to $47, and then looking for affiliates at 70% commission. You could possibly even have a $47 per year recurring fee although that might be pushing it. You could also sell membership as a WSO and then use that as a method of getting affiliates.

I suspect you could sell the site quite easily once it is creating an income. If it is just the site with no income, no traffic and the content then I suspect the price will only be in around the $90 - $200 range depending on the quality of the material.

Another alternative is to change the model to a weekly lesson but you pay monthly for a finite period of time.

I really like it and if you decide not to sell it I would love to help you monetize it!

Can't answer your second question re Black Marks. I suspect you just need to turn the negative into a positive. Something like it was listed on Flippa before with no income and reached $90, now it has x income with potential for much more as our affiliates grow so is easily worth a bin price of whatever you decide, and if you hit my bin price I will write another x articles.

Good Luck

Thanks so much for your detailed response. :) I'm not sure if I want to increase the price above $17, as I'm always so focused on providing as much value as I can for the lowest price I can justify. I know I tend to underprice, though, so I'm definitely taking that into consideration. Also, I originally had it for $17 a month, but I simply couldn't quite justify it to myself. $17 a year, though, I might consider.

I originally had it on Clickbank and got it approved, but I lost interest shortly afterward and didn't want to pay the fee to have the product activated if I wasn't going to flip it. The idea about getting affiliates is why I originally had it on Clickbank, though... so it might be worth it. Hmmm... more to think about!

I did suspect that it would sell better with income, thanks for confirming that. :) I guess since I'm not happy with selling it as a turnkey site, the better option is to develop it myself and see how it goes!

I appreciate your offer to help me monetize it, and I might just decide to keep it. If so, I'll drop you a message.

[quote="NikGoodrich"]
    Don't get attached to sites, you can't make money that way. Find out why people are only bidding $90 for it, see if there is a demand. Sometimes though you just have to cut your losses and move on.

I agree that getting attached is bad in general... for pretty much any other site, I'd take the hundred bucks and go. But for a site that I can see such potential in and I admit that I'm attached to, I'm simply not willing to accept the couple of dollars an hour wage that would have turned out to be. :P This may not end up being flipped... or it may be flipped after a while of me running it profitably. I guess the answer to this situation is that it shouldn't be sold as a turnkey site.
  • Oh, I finally took the time to actually look at the site.

Sales copy is way too short. It may seem silly that some landing pages are 10 miles long, and are essentially sputtering the same garbage, but that's why it sells.

$17 for a membership is way too cheap. If you make it $99 or $199 to join it may do better. WHY?

Because you're selling the site to someone else, not trying to sell the package.

The buyer of the website will say to him/herself "wait, I can buy this website for $400 and after two sells it's already paid off?"