When Selling, How Important is Software?
  • When it comes time to sell, do buyers have any general preferences about the underlying CMS (Content Management System), Blogging Platform, or forum software the site uses? For example, would a site built on Wordpress have more value just for that reason than one built on Drupal or Joomla?
    Or is this a non-issue so long as the benefits of the package are effectively presented in the auction listing?
    I ask for two reasons. One, to guide what I buy to flip. And two, the book talks about using your strengths. In my case, I'm comfortable with software like the Drupal CMS and might see a site that could benefit by upgrading to it. It could improve content, design, and even SEO/traffic.
    But, of course, if people won't buy it because of the software used, the effort would be wasted.
    I'd appreciate any experiences, ideas or opinions about this. (And sorry if I missed the topic elsewhere in the forum. I ran a search but didn't turn anything up on my keywords.)
    Thanks!!!
    RA "Ron" Murphy
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2010-08-29 10:56:30
  • I could see there being a problem since most of the buyers aren't internet savvy. Most people want to buy a site where they do little to no work at all (lazy people), so cater to them.
  • Nik is spot on.

Your first priority when choosing the CMS to go with should be the ease of use - and you should definitely emphasise it within your listing copy as well.

As Nik said - most buyers aren't internet savvy and many worry that they won't be able to properly manage the site that they're about to buy.
  • [quote="NikGoodrich"]
    I could see there being a problem since most of the buyers aren't internet savvy. Most people want to buy a site where they do little to no work at all (lazy people), so cater to them.

But wait... doing "little to no work" is why I got into site flipping! ;)
    Ron[hr]
    I appreciate your responses. Sounds like the key is both showing it's brain-dead easy in the listing and then, based on the book and other threads, to bonus or upsell anything needed to make it even easier.

Makes sense. The biggest problem I always had with less sophisticated-business clients was that they thought just putting up a website would bring people running. ("Whaddya mean - now I gotta pay to get traffic. I thought that's what the website was for!")

Thanks, folks.
    Ron
  • That's why most businesses fail in the first year, people don't realize what a business is which is a lot of work. You may not have a boss and have no one telling you what to do, but you will work harder and longer than anyone else. Don't tell your buyers this though.