What makes a site sell?
  • I think we should start ranking benefits to a site and why.

I think it should go something like this.

1. Proven Revenue

Not how much you MIGHT make, but how much it HAS made. I also think the more months of profit you show the better. If you can't show months, show days of how long it has been profiting. I think at least 1 month of profits should be shown before sold.

2. Traffic

If you can show people you get 1000 people a month through whatever for no extra cost, they'll love you. Not sure how much 1000 UV is worth though.

3. Ease of Use

Enough said, the less they have to do with it the better.

4. Asthetics

If the site looks pretty great!

I'll come up with more later. Thoughts?
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2010-08-29 20:10:36
  • Nik,
    Interesting thought - would you rank the benefits to guide the listing copy? Or is it to guide the approach to adding value?
    I'm still new to all this but based on what I'm learning, here are a couple of observations on your post...
    Certainly actual revenue (and the more the better) can be the key valuation and selling point but how would you address a quick flip? Would you always buy and hold at least a month before selling; or only buy sites that already show months of good earnings? If so, doesn't that raise the cost and reduce the net profit?
    I'd agree that always adding the greatest possible value will make a more salable product, but sometimes that value may have to come through what it looks like you're ranking lower. Revenue based valuation may be the easiest sell but may also be the hardest value add to achieve quickly.
    And the buyer you're targeting will likely have a lot to do with how the benefits should be ranked. It's the old "know your market" adage in copywriting. If we always focus on revenue first, it's possible other opportunities to add greater value and consequently sell at a higher price could be missed. For example, someone looking to drive traffic to their other sites might put more value on content and seo.
    I don't want to put too fine a point on it, but I do think it could be important to analyze potential acquisitions and look for ways to add value that suit the site and its potential market as opposed to setting more specific guidelines that might miss the best chance for profits.
    Ron
  • [quote="ramurphy"]
    Nik,
    Interesting thought - would you rank the benefits to guide the listing copy? Or is it to guide the approach to adding value?
    I'm still new to all this but based on what I'm learning, here are a couple of observations on your post...
    Certainly actual revenue (and the more the better) can be the key valuation and selling point but how would you address a quick flip? Would you always buy and hold at least a month before selling; or only buy sites that already show months of good earnings? If so, doesn't that raise the cost and reduce the net profit?
    I'd agree that always adding the greatest possible value will make a more salable product, but sometimes that value may have to come through what it looks like you're ranking lower. Revenue based valuation may be the easiest sell but may also be the hardest value add to achieve quickly.
    And the buyer you're targeting will likely have a lot to do with how the benefits should be ranked. It's the old "know your market" adage in copywriting. If we always focus on revenue first, it's possible other opportunities to add greater value and consequently sell at a higher price could be missed. For example, someone looking to drive traffic to their other sites might put more value on content and seo.
    I don't want to put too fine a point on it, but I do think it could be important to analyze potential acquisitions and look for ways to add value that suit the site and its potential market as opposed to setting more specific guidelines that might miss the best chance for profits.
    Ron

I agree with some points you have there. Obviously, it's going to be impossible to stack up Revenue for a quick flip (unless your seller is completely ignorant). However, I like to spend more than a few weeks on sites to produce worth.

I see the sites that sell the most have a high track record. Quick flips might only get 1-2 months of revenue (basing this on sites that produce revenue), whereas if you can prove about 2-3 months of revenue you can easily get 10+ I believe.

For short term flips I would put more emphasis on traffic, PR, SEO since people are looking at these to monetize with whatever.