Are you good at spotting sites on DP?
  • Im really bad at spotting the rough diamond on DP but enjoy working on the site.

Does anyone who can spot the diamonds want to "team" up and flip?

I know this has been spoken about already but it simply did not move anywhere.

I would like to give one a push.
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2011-06-12 20:04:49
  • Tell me about it.I can find sites but can't tell if they are any good.I would also like to "team up" with someone.Like the old saying goes:Two heads are better than one.
  • Yeh maybe someone who is good at spotting them could video there step by step on how they look??
  • irnwho definetly a good idea - I soak up videos like water in a desert - I also have design skills and some capital so could help out a good recon/intel dude
  • Yeah - it is a little tough at first to separate the good from the bad on there and which one makes sense as an investment.

Like anything it takes time, trial and error and getting burned a few times to learn.

Two of the things on DP you really need to watch out for though are faked income/traffic numbers and scam artists. I have had it happen to me and heard a lot of stories on faked page rank, paypal, adsense, clickbank and fake traffic (chinese or indian traffic bought really cheap and are not true visitors) - also, never just paypal someone all of the money without a clear understanding of how the domain & site transfer will take place, who will be responsible, etc.

When starting out I always want to communicate with the seller, see how prompt they are at getting back to you and what kind of answers they provide - if you get a bad feeling take a pass, there will always be more opportunities in the future.
  • Yes, the propensity of DP to harbor all of those scam artists gives me some serious pause. I really can't afford to get burned a couple of times just to learn the ropes!

Are there some reliable indicators about whether or not you're working with some scumbag on DP or is it more hit or miss?

I wish that DP had more buyer protection - more like Ebay does.

Lost in Idaho
  • [quote="jrrich"]
    Yes, the propensity of DP to harbor all of those scam artists gives me some serious pause. I really can't afford to get burned a couple of times just to learn the ropes!

Are there some reliable indicators about whether or not you're working with some scumbag on DP or is it more hit or miss?

I wish that DP had more buyer protection - more like Ebay does.

Lost in Idaho

My feeling on this is that if you do the following things it will greatly reduce your risk.

1.) Always trust your gut instinct.
    2.) Verify that the seller really owns the site.
    3.) Verify any claims the seller makes by using an online meeting tool like teamviewer.
    4.) Use escrow
  • A great many of the sites I see advertised on DP seem to have been registered within the last couple of days - or month at best. All kinds of claims of traffic/revenue. Some are obvious scams (even to this newbie!) but I'm more worried about the 'clever' operators there.

These are the ones who have vastly more techie skill than I and can fake stuff in such a way that I would never recognize it until my credit card exploded!

Could we get a few more "white papers" here that discuss this?

Thanks,
    Lost in Idaho
  • [quote="jrrich"]
    A great many of the sites I see advertised on DP seem to have been registered within the last couple of days - or month at best. All kinds of claims of traffic/revenue. Some are obvious scams (even to this newbie!) but I'm more worried about the 'clever' operators there.

These are the ones who have vastly more techie skill than I and can fake stuff in such a way that I would never recognize it until my credit card exploded!

Could we get a few more "white papers" here that discuss this?

Thanks,
    Lost in Idaho

To clarify, you're looking for something which explains all the various scams that are out there and how to spot them and how to do due diligence?
  • When your searching for sites on dp act as if you doing normal research for a media buy or something and start cracking out your good ol seo tools and visit alexa, quantcast, ad planner and compete to see if you can get any results from them. Like Chris said use your gut feeling and check their itrader score and actually read them to see if they are more of a seller or a buyer? When starting out tell yourself Ok I only like $100 for my first flip and try to find a good site in your price range. I feel us as newbies should start low and build our portfolio up to more expensive site as our money grow with our flips.
  • [quote="blillard"]
    When your searching for sites on dp act as if you doing normal research for a media buy or something and start cracking out your good ol seo tools and visit alexa, quantcast, ad planner and compete to see if you can get any results from them. Like Chris said use your gut feeling and check their itrader score and actually read them to see if they are more of a seller or a buyer? When starting out tell yourself Ok I only like $100 for my first flip and try to find a good site in your price range. I feel us as newbies should start low and build our portfolio up to more expensive site as our money grow with our flips.

All great tips here. I'd say 'ditto'. :)
  • This has been a very helpful thread. Thank you to all who contributed.

It appears that in order to avoid getting burned at DP -- and especially newbies like me -- we really have to go slowly and do our due diligence as "billard" suggested.

So, I intend to keep reading the book and going through this website to learn as much as I can. Then, before heading to DP I'll return to this thread one more time to do a double-check in preparation for battle. :)

(I'll still probably get scammed. LOL.)
  • You'll know a scammer when you come across one just use your gut and ask for any and all proof that comes with the site and always make sure to cross reference anything related to the site.