To reveal or not to reveal?
  • Is it ok for a seller to reveal his keywords that bring in traffic to the public when selling a site on flippa? I think its absurd, but I may be wrong?

Thanks,
    Fruit
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2010-05-19 14:29:10
  • [quote="Fruit"]
    Is it ok for a seller to reveal his keywords that bring in traffic to the public when selling a site on flippa? I think its absurd, but I may be wrong?

Thanks,
    Fruit

Why would you do that? If the keywords work then they are valuable and should only be given to the buyer of the website and not to the general public. BTW, I'm still a newbie so take my words with a grain of salt. I've been reading the posts on this forum and learning so much! Can't wait to flip my first site using the advice I receive here (and from the KFS ebook).
  • Yea the ebook is great. The reason I asked is because I've been seeing people ask on flippa for keywords to "determine" rankings and to validate traffic. However, like I previously stated, I would never give up keywords unless it was already sold (strictly to the buyer).

Fruit
  • I would never give them out unless necessary. Obviously the Flippa standard of using Google Analytics makes this process a little harder - but the other side of the coin would be that if you are selling a site, the keywords are no longer going to be in your control, so shouldn't be a concern.
  • What would you consider necessary?

Fruit
  • [quote="Fruit"]
    What would you consider necessary?

Fruit

Generally it would be VERY rare for me to give out this information. Some necessary times may be when a buyer has conducted due diligence and finds discrepancies in your stats or doubts your figures, for example. If in doubt, just ask them to sign an NDA beforehand.
  • Hey all,
    Just a curious question, aren't the keywords being used quite obvious when you study the sites being sold?
    Or do you hide them when it is time to sell?
    Cheers,
    Patrik
  • Depends if the buyer does a deep investigation on the site or not. You can't find all the keywords a site ranks for, but there are tools to find most of them.

Fruit
  • I am not an SEO guy at all, I guess we all build our sites different :cool:
    but for instance, you have a product and build a site around it.
    You want to rank well in the search engines and drive traffic to your site.
    Regardless how you drag people to your site, you work from a list with researched keywords.
    I have never used more than 5-10 keywords for a product, but when I publish the website I use the same keywords on the site as I have done in my promotions. That is perhaps a not that smart move then? :huh:

Cheers,
    Patrik
  • That's fine, but there is always risk that a competitor will do a reverse keyword search. Not only that, but a potential buyer not like the fact that "ALL" keywords are visible to competitors.

You can remedy this simply by adding more keywords that are relevant to your first list. You could even throw in 5 - 10 long tail keywords that you can easily rank for. That way you can convince the buyer that not all keywords are visible.

Fruit
  • Great points, thanks Fruit!
    -Patrik
  • As Thomas said: the Flippa standard of using Google Analytics makes this process a little harder
    Won't we have to add Analytics stats to every listing we post?
    Or we can use statpress or something similar that won't reveal the keywords?
  • What you can always do is take your Analytics screenshots yourself, upload them and make it clear within the listing that the reason for doing this is to keep your keywords hidden from the general public but in case of a bid you're willing to give the bidder access to your GA stats so that they can verify the legitimacy of your screenshots.
  • You don't have to show stats in the listing. You could ask buyers to sign an NDA before parting with traffic stats (especially for $XX,XXX+ sites).

You also don't necessarily have to tell them which keywords you are targetting, with enough digging anyone can find out anyway, but there is no obligation to publicly disclose this information (although for ease of sale it does help).