I have seen other do this. Is it a good idea?
  • Hi, everybody

I have seen a couple of people, selling huge sites(probably made from databases). And I am wondering if it might be a good flipping model for some decent profits for fast flips?

What are your takes on this?
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2010-06-05 11:11:37
  • You've gotta give me more information. "Huge sites" doesn't mean anything to me. . . Are you talking about content/pages, article sites, directory sites?

Fruit
  • [quote="Fruit"]
    You've gotta give me more information. "Huge sites" doesn't mean anything to me. . . Are you talking about content/pages, article sites, directory sites?

Fruit

Oh sorry content sites.

Over 100 pages

something along the lines of this kind of site:

http://flippa.com/auctions/91269/Autoupdated-recipes-portal-with-42-000-recipes-and-shopping-mall-
  • IMO they are rubbish, but that isn't denying people buy them.

Be careful if you are buying sites with large databases (especially Pligg/directory type sites) as they often have cloned databases of members/posts/articles etc.

They do sell though, especially if you can find some relatively unique, yet desirable databases.
  • Automated sites are selling like hotcakes for now, but sooner or later their going to die down. Eventually sellers will see that automated sites are completely fucking useless. . . I"m personally hoping the day comes soon, but until then go right ahead. Make a few and sell the idea of "potential". You could also list some of the other listings that have sold as a reference and the potential that is there.

Hope that made sense.

Fruit
  • [quote="Thomas"]
    IMO they are rubbish, but that isn't denying people buy them.

Be careful if you are buying sites with large databases (especially Pligg/directory type sites) as they often have cloned databases of members/posts/articles etc.

They do sell though, especially if you can find some relatively unique, yet desirable databases.

I am only going to sell them, but it sounds like it might be a good option to go after. After what you say.

[quote="Fruit"]
    Automated sites are selling like hotcakes for now, but sooner or later their going to die down. Eventually sellers will see that automated sites are completely fucking useless. . . I"m personally hoping the day comes soon, but until then go right ahead. Make a few and sell the idea of "potential". You could also list some of the other listings that have sold as a reference and the potential that is there.

Hope that made sense.

Fruit

Yes it did make sense. Actually it seems like it would be a good option to ride the wave on those kind of sites:P
  • Great insight Fruit. You are spot on. As with anything in business, it is all about riding the wave [edit: looks like chock beat me to it]. If there is short-term profit to be made, there is no reason not to enter a market. Act fast and you can reap profits and move quickly onto the next trend. IM trends don't tend to hang around long, so it's best to start NOW rather than spend ages planning. You can refine your technique as you go.
  • [quote="chockfactor"]
    Actually it seems like it would be a good option to ride the wave on those kind of sites:P

And this, my friend, was a bloody million dollar statement!

Thomas and I have discussed this A LOT - basically, it's important to spot the (ever changing) opportunities, take the maximum advantage of them as quickly as you can and then move on. As opposed to learning a 'method' and sticking to it until it dies, then burning.

Good stuff!
  • Speaking of riding hot trends, What is the overall consensus regarding Adsense sites? Do you feel they fetching good prices on Flippa?
  • Adsense overall on flippa sells alot more than other sites mainly because people know what and who adsense is/are they know it's a pretty stable and easy income for the new marketer (sit back and do nothing type). You will find many a site sells on average 10 x it's monthly profit but i have seen ALOT of adsense breaking way past the 10 month type sale even hitting 2 years :)
  • A good thing for me since I have several I want to sell. On another note (and maybe for another thread) what are the upcoming sitre trends we should be talking about?

[quote="graphicnut"]
    Adsense overall on flippa sells alot more than other sites mainly because people know what and who adsense is/are they know it's a pretty stable and easy income for the new marketer (sit back and do nothing type). You will find many a site sells on average 10 x it's monthly profit but i have seen ALOT of adsense breaking way past the 10 month type sale even hitting 2 years :)