• I was surprised to see this sell for $700:
    http://flippa.com/auctions/94174/Unique-Internet-Markerting-Blog-The-Skys-The-Limit

This gives me great encouragement as I know I can create better sites. I'm new to selling sites so maybe I'm missing something here. To me it seems way over priced because I know how much it would take me to create the same site and it would be well under $100.

If sites like this are selling for this money I should have started this years ago!

To the more experienced, have I missed the reason why this got a good price or was it just a case of being a one off event and wouldn't ordinarily fetch a price like this?

The sales copy is poor, the site is only 2 months old, no analytics shown, cagey about the traffic and so on. If the seller is here, sorry don't mean to cause offence (BTW congratulations)! I'm just trying to reason why it got, what for me is a very good price!
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2010-06-12 01:22:30
  • Terrible sales copy, yes. But it also has revenue. If you can build sites that are earning that is an EASY sell!

If you want to go down this route you will want to build up a number of sites - keep some, sell some. That way you will have a nice cashflow from both affiliate commissions and flipping. That's a very good way to build up a solid portfolio in a matter of months. If you can afford to wait a few months you can quickly build up sites with revenue and sell them for considerably more than start ups.

She would have made considerably more if she had some solid traffic stats (hence why we recommend ALWAYS install Google Analytics from the outset).
  • [quote="Thomas"]
    Terrible sales copy, yes. But it also has revenue. If you can build sites that are earning that is an EASY sell!

If you want to go down this route you will want to build up a number of sites - keep some, sell some. That way you will have a nice cashflow from both affiliate commissions and flipping. That's a very good way to build up a solid portfolio in a matter of months. If you can afford to wait a few months you can quickly build up sites with revenue and sell them for considerably more than start ups.

She would have made considerably more if she had some solid traffic stats (hence why we recommend ALWAYS install Google Analytics from the outset).

Thanks Thomas, I see now.

I have 40 domains and about 25 sites. I can create sites easily, make them look good and so on. Growing traffic to my sites is my biggest problem, isn't it for everyone! Backlinking is one of my pet hates and my biggest downfall, plus I've stretched myself too far. However I've started to address this and am seeing results.

But I really want to get to the creation and selling side now. I think i'll be better at this as I enjoy the site creation side of things alot more than the SEO traffic building side! So I'll take your tips onboard.
  • [quote="dotcomdesigns"]
    Thanks Thomas, I see now.

I have 40 domains and about 25 sites. I can create sites easily, make them look good and so on. Growing traffic to my sites is my biggest problem, isn't it for everyone! Backlinking is one of my pet hates and my biggest downfall, plus I've stretched myself too far. However I've started to address this and am seeing results.

But I really want to get to the creation and selling side now. I think i'll be better at this as I enjoy the site creation side of things alot more than the SEO traffic building side! So I'll take your tips onboard.

Spot on. Exactly the message we've been trying to get across: work to your strengths. If you enjoy and are good at building sites - then why not reap the rewards of your skills. If you don't like SEO then either outsource it or ignore it all together and rely on your site building skills for your income. Too many people get hung up on the SEO side of things and struggle by making $2 a month from 10 sites - whereas by flipping them instead you can quickly release cashflow and experience an exponential growth in your business.
  • The tracking is kind of a no brainer. . . People should be tracking everything!

Edit: just finished reading the listing. She makes woman look bad.

Fruit
  • That type of listing is what amazes me as a developer, but motivates me to flip websites. To me, that is not worth $700, but to someone else, it's worth that and more.
  • Its worth 700$ for one reason; aprils 500$ revenue and proof.

Fruit
  • It would be worth considerably more if it had some better proof. I can't help feeling those revenue screenshots were bullshit - that's a pretty high income from relatively little traffic. If it was indeed accurate, then the buyer got a bargain - but that listing would be what I'd call a "punt" and I would usually steer clear from a due dilegence point of view.
  • Thomas, that were feelings about the proof of revenue. "Online transfer..." and "branch deposit..."

It does have a Alexa US ranking of 267,628, so there is potential for revenue. But there are no call to actions that would motivate you to click on any of the products she is promoting.

I would like to check the site stats to see where the traffic is coming from and make sure it is traffic she purchased (junk traffic) - which would be one reason to hide the stats.

Dave
  • Just too many alarm bells on this one for me.

Title: "Unique Internet Markerting Blog The Skys The Limit" - sloppy with spelling and grammatical errors. That's almost an instant no from me.

Patchy answers to questions.

There is no proof the bank transfers relate to this site.

Alexa is too easily manipulated to be a strong judge of its revenue potential.

As the old saying goes: if it sounds too good to be true - it probably is.

Thomas
  • Can i ask, reading this i also relate in tht seo is my weakness, would freelancer.com be the best place to get article writers etc? and also in what price bracket would you even worry about seo?
  • I generally don't touch SEO unless I plan on holding a site for at least a month. I may add some unique content just to make the site more desirable but that's about it. If you plan on keeping a site, you should be working on SEO regardless of price.