Real lost and losing hope
  • Hi everyone, really hope to get some help here. I'm done reading through the course and it seemed all easy and simple while reading it but as soon as I start looking for a site on DP all kinda questions start popping up. I have VERY limited time to work on this (weekends only) and really want to make full use of my time. It would really be a neat feature to have a chatroom/chatbox so that we can get instant help but I guess this will have to do for now.

I've been looking through the dp listings for the past hour and have no idea what I was doing. Almost every single listing does not provide with enough information.

1. How do you start looking for a site? Just mindless browsing?

2. What information do you need/ask for? The most common i see people asking for is revenue and traffic proof.

3. Does matter if at DP it says the owner has not verified the site or something like that?

4. Most of the listings that show their traffic stats are from awstats. How do I know if those are not faked?

5. As soon as I find a site, it seems text links and adsense should be my main options to monetize. What would be the best way to sell text links FAST? BTW are text link ads just like normal links by the side of the blog?

6. I currently do not have an account on DP. Can new accounts PM others? If I'm not wrong I will need to meet some requirements before I can make a post in the BST section right?

That's all the questions I have for now. I'll be back on the weekends to give this another try. Thanks in advance for all the help. If there is someone here who is experienced and willing to help me via MSN/etc, I'm willing to split the profits with you. You don't have to do any work. Just answering my every noob question.

Ryan

On a side note to the authors, I bought this course through the WSO in which it has a money back guarantee.

200% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE

Yep, not 50% or 100% but 200% - we will actually PAY YOU in case you don't, within 14 days after purchasing the course, make at least $150 of profit by following the tips you’ll get from our e-course. You’ll get $254 straight to your PayPal account! All we ask is that you look at all the materials provided and put them into action. If you can prove you have tried and failed (even asking at least 10 questions on the forum) to make at least $150 then we will happily honor the refund 200%.

I just want to ask if the guarantee extends beyond 14days because I'm pretty sure that given my limited time, I need longer than that to complete a flip.
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2011-01-22 07:33:30
  • [quote="rype89"]
    Hi everyone, really hope to get some help here. I'm done reading through the course and it seemed all easy and simple while reading it but as soon as I start looking for a site on DP all kinda questions start popping up. I have VERY limited time to work on this (weekends only) and really want to make full use of my time. It would really be a neat feature to have a chatroom/chatbox so that we can get instant help but I guess this will have to do for now.

I've been looking through the dp listings for the past hour and have no idea what I was doing. Almost every single listing does not provide with enough information.

1. How do you start looking for a site? Just mindless browsing?

2. What information do you need/ask for? The most common i see people asking for is revenue and traffic proof.

3. Does matter if at DP it says the owner has not verified the site or something like that?

4. Most of the listings that show their traffic stats are from awstats. How do I know if those are not faked?

5. As soon as I find a site, it seems text links and adsense should be my main options to monetize. What would be the best way to sell text links FAST? BTW are text link ads just like normal links by the side of the blog?

6. I currently do not have an account on DP. Can new accounts PM others? If I'm not wrong I will need to meet some requirements before I can make a post in the BST section right?

That's all the questions I have for now. I'll be back on the weekends to give this another try. Thanks in advance for all the help. If there is someone here who is experienced and willing to help me via MSN/etc, I'm willing to split the profits with you. You don't have to do any work. Just answering my every noob question.

Ryan

On a side note to the authors, I bought this course through the WSO in which it has a money back guarantee.

200% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE

Yep, not 50% or 100% but 200% - we will actually PAY YOU in case you don't, within 14 days after purchasing the course, make at least $150 of profit by following the tips you’ll get from our e-course. You’ll get $254 straight to your PayPal account! All we ask is that you look at all the materials provided and put them into action. If you can prove you have tried and failed (even asking at least 10 questions on the forum) to make at least $150 then we will happily honor the refund 200%.

I just want to ask if the guarantee extends beyond 14days because I'm pretty sure that given my limited time, I need longer than that to complete a flip.

I understand it can be overwhelming to get started and we are all here to help you.

1.) I don't know if mindless browsing is what I'd call it, but you will want to have an idea of what you are looking for. The most obvious starting point is your budget. Do you have a budget in mind that you could spend on a site?

2.) We provide several tools/checklists in the forum below that should help you in determining the right questions to ask. Generally, you'll want to make sure the posting is legitimate getting proof of anything (revenue, traffic, ranking, etc.) the seller is stating in their listing.

http://flippingnetwork.com/forum/forumd ... php?fid=32

3.) In this case, you'll want to verify the seller actually owns the site and isn't trying to sell a site they don't own. There are a couple ways to do that:
    a.) Send an email to the contact email listed on the "whois" record of the domain and ask the seller to tell you what the contents of that email were.
    b.) Create a file (name it anything you want like test1234.html) and ask the seller to upload it into the web directory of the site. Then you can go to thesite.com/test1234.html.

If the seller can do both of these for you, it's a very good chance they actually own it.

4.) It can be tough to know if the traffic is real vs. bot traffic, but look for anything in the logs that would indicate a ton of the traffic is from one source/country/ip/etc. If you are worried about doctored screenshots ask to do a web meeting where the seller shares their screen and/or ask for access to their stats. Keep in mind, anything can be faked including Google Analytics so if something doesn't look "quite right" be sure to do what you can to get comfortable before you buy.

5.) There are text link brokers you could go to if you want to move quickly. Just do a google search for "text link brokers" or "text link ads". Basically a text link is any link that is text based and are typically for the purpose of increasing the number of links pointing in to an advertiser's website for search engine optimization purposes. The placement can be anywhere on a page including the footer.

6.) Please refer to their current forum rules. I don't want to post specifics in here in case they change their rules in a week.

Regarding your question about the money-back guarantee, we take that on a case-by-case basis but normally wouldn't extend it more than 30 days, so even if it means staying up all night, get to work :)

Sincerely,
    Chris
  • So the 200% money back guarantee is valid for up to 30 days at most? Do you offer a 100% money back guarantee afterwards? This is something to fall back on if it doesn't work out.

But I am only too keen to prove that the system DOES work. I have read so many success stories on here. But I too am having a bit of trouble with the DP Forum. Most of the listings I checked had PR values that didn't match and exaggerated Alexa rankings etc.

And why is it that very few people verify the ownership of their websites? Is it a difficult process or do they just have something to hide?

Lastly, the other problem I encountered is that after sending out 2 PMs, I am restricted to 1 PM a day or something like that. The forum just flashes a message saying that I need to allow xxxxx number of seconds between posts and this works out to be roughly 24 hours or more. So how would I be able to make direct offers and make all my necessary inquiries with a limitation like that?

Thanks.
  • [quote="angel220"]
    So the 200% money back guarantee is valid for up to 30 days at most? Do you offer a 100% money back guarantee afterwards? This is something to fall back on if it doesn't work out.

But I am only too keen to prove that the system DOES work. I have read so many success stories on here. But I too am having a bit of trouble with the DP Forum. Most of the listings I checked had PR values that didn't match and exaggerated Alexa rankings etc.

And why is it that very few people verify the ownership of their websites? Is it a difficult process or do they just have something to hide?

Lastly, the other problem I encountered is that after sending out 2 PMs, I am restricted to 1 PM a day or something like that. The forum just flashes a message saying that I need to allow xxxxx number of seconds between posts and this works out to be roughly 24 hours or more. So how would I be able to make direct offers and make all my necessary inquiries with a limitation like that?

Thanks.

We most likely wouldn't offer a money-back guarantee after 30 days because we feel 30 days is enough time to prove the system. My personal opinion here is that you're focusing on the wrong thing. If in your mind you want to have a "fall-back" option if things don't go exactly as you envision, you're going to limit yourself. My suggestion is to get the negative thoughts out of your mind and focus on making money by continuing taking action.

DP does have its draw backs, but once you find that one great deal, all the time looking will be so worth it. Trust me.

Sellers have different reasons. Yes, some may be trying to hide something, but others may not be as savvy or don't want to spend the time verifying.

DP is trying to prevent users flooding/spaming posts and PMs. Since this is most likely to happen with brand new users, you're going to have more restrictions at first. I'd recommend going into some of the main forums (outside of the buy/sell) and start participating by providing some valuable threads and posts. 50 posts (of value) would be a good goal to have.

Hope that helps.
  • A few more questions from me.

1. Should I go for a site with a higher PR but less traffic/revenue or a site with low pr and more traffic/revenue. (eg. pr3 site with no traffic/revenue vs. pr0 site with 2800uv/mth and $50/mth)
    2. For the higher pr site, I'm sure selling text links would be the best/fastest way to monetize right? What about a site with pr0? Assuming the site already has adsense.

I see some potential sites that I'll probably purchase so that I can get to work asap.
  • let me add 1 more to that. I see quite a number of autoblogs for sale. Do these sell well?
  • Alright I went ahead and jumped the gun. I bought a PR3 blog with no significant traffic/revenue for $60. Signed up with textlinkbrokers.com so just waiting for them to approve of my account now.
  • [quote="rype89"]
    A few more questions from me.

1. Should I go for a site with a higher PR but less traffic/revenue or a site with low pr and more traffic/revenue. (eg. pr3 site with no traffic/revenue vs. pr0 site with 2800uv/mth and $50/mth)
    2. For the higher pr site, I'm sure selling text links would be the best/fastest way to monetize right? What about a site with pr0? Assuming the site already has adsense.

I see some potential sites that I'll probably purchase so that I can get to work asap.

There is no easy answer here. The reason I say that is because if you can get either/both at a significantly undervalued price they can both be good. That said, when I am buying to hold, quality traffic and revenue in my mind trumps PR.
  • [quote="rype89"]
    let me add 1 more to that. I see quite a number of autoblogs for sale. Do these sell well?

Autoblogs can sell well, yes. What you want to do is search past flippa listings for autoblogs that sold. It will give you a sense of what they are selling for.
  • [quote="rype89"]
    Alright I went ahead and jumped the gun. I bought a PR3 blog with no significant traffic/revenue for $60. Signed up with textlinkbrokers.com so just waiting for them to approve of my account now.

That sounds like a good buy. I'm sure you could turn around and sell it on flippa as-is for a quick $100-$200 in profit. Let us know how it goes.
  • textlinkbrokers.com is taking some time to approve my account, maybe it's because of the new year. I need some advice on what else I can do in the meantime. Here's the site that I bought.

monamoonlightdesigns.com
  • I'd recommend starting the process of writing your listing for Flippa.

You can also review the tools section for checklists and other ideas.
    http://flippingnetwork.com/forum/forumd ... php?fid=32
  • Great suggestions Chris. One thing Chris pointed out that I would have to agree entirely with for you. Don't focus on "what if" scenarios. As a business owner I'm constantly telling staff to stop focusing on "what if this or what if that". You can't completely control what will happen every time. Most business owners make decisions and take action with about 70% of the information they should have to make a wise decision. That's because we need to move fast to keep the business going and if we waited for all the information we'd be like 99.9% of all other people. We'd be wishing we did something. I love the fact that you bought a site with not knowing everything there is to know. You'll learn a lot more from the actions you take than just listening to others. I like to let others tell me things they may have done wrong to avoid those same mistakes but that isn't to say I'll always avoid them. sorry to ramble, but I think it's really important to focus on the right things and just take action. When things come up for you just ask the question in our forum and we'll do our best to get you the answers.
  • Great post, David!

On a local networking event a few weeks back an eager designer-kid looking to open his own ad agency asked me what was the number 1 thing I've learned in my 5+ years of being an entrepreneur. My answer was - money follows speed!

It's all about finding the correct risk/reward ratio. Try to eliminate all risk and you'll fail. Aim too high, taking unnecessarily high risks and you'll fail. Find the right balance and you'll succeed!
  • Been a week now and I still have not made any link sales/revenue for the site. I'm thinking that I should just put it up on flippa anyways. But if I were to do that, how do I market the site? How am I supposed to get a site that has no traffic/revenue with only a PR3 to sell?
  • If pagerank is actually worth anything, then a site with "only" PR3 should sell well on that basis alone. Building a site from scratch and achieving PR3 is not easy or quick, so somebody in love with PR should pay a premium for a site that is already PR3.
  • As I see it now, I have 2 options.

1. Sell the site as it is, with no traffic/revenue, lousy design, crap content.
    2. Revamp the entire site. Outsource a custom design, get articles written, get some seo done.

The 14 days money back guarantee is already up for me so right now I'm just really trying to earn the cost of the product back. What do you think is the best path for me to take right now? Oh yes btw the site is monamoonlightdesigns.com
  • If your goal is to just make back your investment as quickly as possible, I'd say you can do that by listing the site as is. Take a look at some of the auctions with PR3 and no revenuethat sold. Many are selling in the $150-$350 range.

https://flippa.com/buy?includewon=1&inc ... finesearch
  • Last few questions before I put the site up for sale.

1. Should I list the site as new website or established website?
    2. How long should my auction last?

Btw I went ahead and deleted everything from the site, changed the theme, and posted some PLR articles on a totally different niche. Not sure if that was a good move but the content on the site was total crap, I didn't even know what niche the site was so I had to do something.
  • There are a lot of posts in the forum and course about auction strategies so I'd recommend reviewing all of those.

1.) You are in a gray area with your site, but I'd lean to "established".
    2.) Please re-read chapter 19 in the course and the various posts in the forum.
  • What will sell your site for the money you want is the copywriting. You've heard the phrase "sell the sizzle not the steak".

Get into your buyers heart and ask yourself-what is he or she going love about owning your site. Make them salivating about the unique opportunity to a P3 SITE! You need to let it go for a bargain price of (your price here), but just imagine how they could make passive income off just selling links! You can't keep it because your business is going in a different direction and you just don't have time for it.

Hang out where people talk about buying sites. Learn your market.
  • okay, have put up an auction. lets see how it goes...

https://flippa.com/auctions/119334
  • Good luck. I added it to my watchlist. I think you did a good job with the copy. If the site has any ranking for keywords, it would be good to highlight that in the listing copy.

Chris
  • Also, see if you can get your flippa trust up by verifying your phone, linkedin and facebook.
  • Last tip. I'd reword this phrase "The look and content of the original site was crap". It would be better to not give people the impression that this was a quick flip from a junky site that you spent 5 minutes on.
  • Alright I've edited the listing accordingly. Unfortunately I doubt there are any decent keywords that the site is ranking for. The site was previously an autoblog pulling in junk content.
  • Not sure if this has been asked before, but when you feature an auction, how long does it last? No bids as of yet, and am planning to feature it once 48 hours before the end.

On a side note, I got a PM from someone. Judging by his username, I assume he's from India. He just created his account and has a trust rating of +4 from the phone verification and linkin. If I were to get a bid from someone like that, should I accept the bid? I'm not getting any bids and don't have a good feedback history myself so it makes it difficult to reject any bids that come in.
  • [quote="rype89"]
    Not sure if this has been asked before, but when you feature an auction, how long does it last? No bids as of yet, and am planning to feature it once 48 hours before the end.

On a side note, I got a PM from someone. Judging by his username, I assume he's from India. He just created his account and has a trust rating of +4 from the phone verification and linkin. If I were to get a bid from someone like that, should I accept the bid? I'm not getting any bids and don't have a good feedback history myself so it makes it difficult to reject any bids that come in.

1.) Featuring the day before the auction ends is probably your best bet.

2.) I don't think based on what you're telling us that it should exclude him/her as a legitimate buyer, but you'll need to do your due diligence on him/her prior to accepting the bid.

Chris.
  • Okay I just received a bid of $1 from the guy, gonna just accept the bid and probably pm him telling him that there's no way my site is going to go for $1. Then persuade him to increase him bid.
  • I hope this reaches you in time. If you accept it, you are obligated to tell sell him at that price if no one else bids. I would do your negotiation prior to accepting the bid.
  • I have already accepted the bid, but I'm not obligated to sell it to him since I've set a reserve price right?
  • When I buy the featured upgrade, does my listing become featured immediately upon making payment, or am I able to choose the time for it to become featured?
  • Okay I went ahead and bought the upgrade, was applied immediately. No way to schedule it I guess. Can't possibly stay up till 3am here to buy the upgrade so decided to just feature it as close to the recommended timing as possible.

I don't know if it's a bug, but I somehow managed to use the coupon to pay for half the upgrade. So I listed the auction for free, then I am left with 20 credits, and when featuring I only had to pay $20. Now I'm left with 1 credit. Probably an error on flippa's side but heck, their loss my gain.
  • [quote="rype89"]
    I have already accepted the bid, but I'm not obligated to sell it to him since I've set a reserve price right?

That's correct. For some reason, I thought you were doing a no reserve auction.
  • [quote="rype89"]
    Okay I went ahead and bought the upgrade, was applied immediately. No way to schedule it I guess. Can't possibly stay up till 3am here to buy the upgrade so decided to just feature it as close to the recommended timing as possible.

I don't know if it's a bug, but I somehow managed to use the coupon to pay for half the upgrade. So I listed the auction for free, then I am left with 20 credits, and when featuring I only had to pay $20. Now I'm left with 1 credit. Probably an error on flippa's side but heck, their loss my gain.

Great perk for signing up for our course :)
  • Imagine my excitement when I woke up at 5am in the morning and when I checked my email, payment has been made for my site at the BIN price! I'm not even home right now and am so busy I'm rushing this post out just to to share the joy with you guys. Will post a success story when I have the time on the weekends.

Thanks for all the help
    Ryan
  • That's great news. I'm thrilled for you. Maybe we should change the name of this thread now from "Real lost and losing hope" to "Now I'm found and making money". :)
  • The sale gave me a ray of hope. But now the real challenge is to do a bigger flip, which I'm sure I'll be needing all of your help again.

Btw, I would really like to hear your views on a type of site/auction that I spotted on flippa. Do you think these sites are worth purchasing? Because if everything claimed is true, you wouldn't even need to flip the site to make a hge profit.

https://flippa.com/auctions/119752/Extr ... money-back
  • I read somewhere that Google doesn't like autoblogs and will ban them from Adsense if they catch them (I'm not an expert on this, so don't act on what I say without getting it corroborated by someone who knows more than me). And, like one of the commenters on the listing asked, I wonder why anyone would sell a site for $1400 if he is confident that it will make $150 per day. I wouldn't risk buying it.
  • [quote="rype89"]
    Imagine my excitement when I woke up at 5am in the morning and when I checked my email, payment has been made for my site at the BIN price! I'm not even home right now and am so busy I'm rushing this post out just to to share the joy with you guys. Will post a success story when I have the time on the weekends.

Thanks for all the help
    Ryan

Congratulations on this big win! Do you mind writing a testimonial in the "Success Stories" section of the forum?
  • [quote="rype89"]
    The sale gave me a ray of hope. But now the real challenge is to do a bigger flip, which I'm sure I'll be needing all of your help again.

Btw, I would really like to hear your views on a type of site/auction that I spotted on flippa. Do you think these sites are worth purchasing? Because if everything claimed is true, you wouldn't even need to flip the site to make a hge profit.

https://flippa.com/auctions/119752/Extr ... money-back

If you want very specific help, you may want to consider joining our Mastermind Group. See details at http://www.flippingnetwork.com/mastermind/
  • Sure, once I find the time, I'll write out a success story.
  • I looked through the mastermind group and would really love to be a part of it. However it's requires a monthly payment and as I only have access to the computer on weekends, it really isn't the best of deals for me at the moment.