• Morning All!

I was wondering if any of you have experience with selling both HTML-based sites and WP blogs, and which type of site sells better on Flippa.

I am talking about selling turn-key sites that are freshly built with only a bit of traffic coming in.

Do buyers tend to have a preference, or does it not matter? Are there other factors that matter more?

Thanks!
    Brenda
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2010-05-19 10:51:54
  • I've sold probably every different type of site you could have and IMO there isn't much difference between what you sell, it is purely how you present it to potential buyers.

As you are referring to turnkey sites, I would have to say WP blogs are better - purely because they are more newbie friendly with the CMS Wordpress has and the easy customisations that can be made.

With this comes the issue that every man and his dog is selling WP blogs on Flippa, so it certainly requires some imagination to be successful as many would describe the market as "saturated".

For most newbie buyers, I would say that the most important thing is that they understand how to run the site and can make changes for themselves, hence why WP is such a popular choice. Not to say that other sites don't sell as turnkeys, it just appears the ease of use of WP outweighs other elements.

Thomas
  • Thanks Thomas,

I can do them either way. I just wanted to know if there was a preference. I have never transferred ownership of a WP blog to someone else. Is it easy?

Brenda
  • Yep, I agree with Thomas in every aspect he mentioned. Just wanted to add that WP blogs are good for "cheapish" sites mainly because they tend to effectively break the "... but I might not know how to manage the site once I buy it!" barrier, which is always a good thing.

Regarding transferring - it's extremely easy, to be honest. It would take me about 15 minutes to teach you the process from the beginning to the end, and with a bit of digging I'll be able to find some written guides with screenshots etc. on this as well.
  • Thanks Bryan!

I have about 10 things in the works right now - ranging from PLR site stuff to Amazon product keyword sites. I just need to finish them and see what type of sites will sell best for me I guess.

I am very excited!
  • I prefer WP because it's easy to set up and there are millions of themes available on the internet so I can build a site in about one hour.

At the same time I'm looking into other options because my goal is to build a few high traffic sites and in a few months flip some of them and keep the best ones.
  • Thanks flippinggenius. Have you been having good success flipping your turn-key blogs?

brenda

[quote="flippinggenius"]
    I prefer WP because it's easy to set up and there are millions of themes available on the internet so I can build a site in about one hour.

At the same time I'm looking into other options because my goal is to build a few high traffic sites and in a few months flip some of them and keep the best ones.
  • Bryanon what do you mean by "cheapish" sites. There are some pretty dam good blogs out there that use the WP CMS.

Fruit
  • I have had alright success but the problem is that the money spent on building and selling the sites is only a little bit lower than what the sites can be sold for. This is why I turned to Thomas and Bryan too as they know what it takes to move on to more attractive projects and make more money per each sale.
  • I see. I will probably sign up for the coaching next week when I have more money. I hope that it will still be open!
  • [quote="Fruit"]
    Bryanon what do you mean by "cheapish" sites. There are some pretty dam good blogs out there that use the WP CMS.

Of course there are! And I'm not saying anything bad about WP!

What I meant was that the average buyer of a low-end site typically has a lot less experience and knowledge than the average buyer of a high-end site (there are exceptions obviously), and therefore the platform being something that they're already familiar with (WP) is more important to a $100 bidder than to a $20k bidder.

[quote="flippinggenius"]
    I have had alright success but the problem is that the money spent on building and selling the sites is only a little bit lower than what the sites can be sold for. This is why I turned to Thomas and Bryan too as they know what it takes to move on to more attractive projects and make more money per each sale.

That's what we're here for ;)