Google's War On Content Farms
  • For those of you using scraped content, you may want to be watching your rankings over the next few weeks.

"Google has announced a major algorithmic change to its search engine, subtle in nature and perhaps unnoticeable to many users, but one that should dramatically improve the quality of Google’s search results."

"This update is designed to reduce rankings for low-quality sites—sites which are low-value add for users, copy content from other websites or sites that are just not very useful. At the same time, it will provide better rankings for high-quality sites—sites with original content and information such as research, in-depth reports, thoughtful analysis and so on."
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2011-02-26 16:24:22
  • So happy about this change, it does mean that article sites WILL GO DOWN so you might not want to use article submission sites for SEO (Ezine, articlebase etc.)
  • [quote="Stefan"]
    So happy about this change, it does mean that article sites WILL GO DOWN so you might not want to use article submission sites for SEO (Ezine, articlebase etc.)

From what I understand this change means that low content sites will not rank high in google, which does not mean that they will not be indexed at all. So if you do article marketing for SEO purposes not much will change, since the articles themselves will be indexed and the links will count, however they will rank poorly meaning that article marketing traffic will decrease.

Also I'm not so sure if google will target article directories with this change. I think that the prime targets will be auto blogs and other sites with scraped content. Also article directories which publish duplicate articles which are already featured on other sites. If so, then publishing unique articles will not damage you SEO efforts.

I would not be so quick to announce the death of article marketing, but the noose is definitely tightening.
  • I've actually got it on good authority that some of the biggest article submission websites will not help you in the SEO process. This doesn't mean articles can't be used for SEO anymore because a good article spinner will still let you do SEO with web 2.0 sites.
    Just pass on the article submission sites

I believe a couple sites had a -30, some had -20 and I believe Ezine had -40 but I'm not completely sure about that, I'll find the numbers later tonight.
  • I think you're pretty close on EZA. I seen a -37 mentioned.
  • -37 what? google degrees? :)
  • Google ranking