Unzipping Wordpress site files?!
  • Hi,

(I wasn't sure where to start my thread - hope ok here.)

I'm having a lot of trouble downloading and unzipping Wordpress site files to upload them to a different host/server.

Is there anyone here that I can PM to help me, plse?

For starters, I'm attaching 2 screenshots to show first what the files look like in the folder (they open as win media files, or something) after I've unzipped them, and in the second ss, what happens when I open a file (cannot open).

This is the first time I'm transferring site files to another server, and don't know at all what's going on with the unzipping of the files.

Thanks for your help,
    Di
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2011-03-01 08:40:40
  • I'm happy to help you with this through the forum. There are a couple things I'll need to know.
    1.) Are you going from cpanel to cpanel?
    2.) This is an existing site that's live right?
  • [quote="chrismyates"]
    I'm happy to help you with this through the forum. There are a couple things I'll need to know.
    1.) Are you going from cpanel to cpanel?
    2.) This is an existing site that's live right?

Hi Chris,

Great, thanks!

1. yes, from cpanel to cpanel
    2. yes, site/s are live now

Even though I've never done it before, I thought I could follow instructions, but my problem with the format of the files themselves - unzipping - and my vista pc is a pain.

Di
  • Cpanel has some built in features in its file manager that lets you compress and uncompress files. That's going to be your best bet.
    1.) Log into your cpanel account and click on the file manager for the old site.
    2.) Browse into public_html for the site you want to download.
    3.) Compress the important files such as the php file in the public_html directory and those in wp-content and wp-includes. You may just want to compress your entire public_html.
    4.) Once the compressed file is ready, download it to your computer.
    5.) If it's a file that's really big (like over 50MB), you'll want to uncompress it directly on your desktop. You can use programs like 7-zip if needed. If it's smaller, you don't need to.
    6.) Log into your new cpanel file manager and upload all the files (or the single compressed file and you can use the uncompress tool in the file manager).
    7.) Make sure to move your mysql database over and update config files with the new user/pass if needed.

Hope that helps. If not, you may want to search through wordpress.org for further instructions.
  • [quote="chrismyates"]
    Cpanel has some built in features in its file manager that lets you compress and uncompress files. That's going to be your best bet.
    1.) Log into your cpanel account and click on the file manager for the old site.
    2.) Browse into public_html for the site you want to download.
    3.) Compress the important files such as the php file in the public_html directory and those in wp-content and wp-includes. You may just want to compress your entire public_html.
    4.) Once the compressed file is ready, download it to your computer.
    5.) If it's a file that's really big (like over 50MB), you'll want to uncompress it directly on your desktop. You can use programs like 7-zip if needed. If it's smaller, you don't need to.
    6.) Log into your new cpanel file manager and upload all the files (or the single compressed file and you can use the uncompress tool in the file manager).
    7.) Make sure to move your mysql database over and update config files with the new user/pass if needed.

Hope that helps. If not, you may want to search through wordpress.org for further instructions.

Ok, thanks! I'm gonna try it this way.