• Ok I made my first buy today after like a week of studying and researching whats hot on flippa.

The owner wanted $60 for the site I got it down to $40. Traffic is ok at like 450 a month most organic.

My next step might be a makeover and some backlinks then try to boost the earnings I'll try text links but with the niche I know I can get someone to do a small media buy. Cpa'ers will jump at a chance.

I'll keep the forum updated. I don't mind spending a little tlc on this first buy because I have more of that than money haha
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2011-05-27 10:06:17
  • Congratulations on taking the first step! I absolutely love it when members take action. Let us know if there is anything we can do to support you.
  • Ok im waiting for the seller to transfer everything you guys. I'll post the link when everything is done for some opinions and advice on my next move.
  • [quote="blillard"]
    Ok im waiting for the seller to transfer everything you guys. I'll post the link when everything is done for some opinions and advice on my next move.

Sounds great. Looking forward to hearing more.
  • Ok got the site transferred that cost me $10 through hover never heared of them.so now my total is $50. Since I got it the site already has .40 cent in adsense so that's a good look.
    Http://yaris-performance.com
  • Great job buying the site. If I could give a couple suggestions as a buyer and as someone searching online. I would suggest changing the font and color of the title that's currently white with black outline and the font of the navigation. Both make it hard to read and are not traditional for a site like this. Makes me think of something created in a foreign land. Also, if this is about creating income from adsense you should add at least one more ad on each page. With just one add you limit the potential income.

Hope that helps. Look forward to hearing how it goes.
  • [quote="blillard"]
    Ok got the site transferred that cost me $10 through hover never heared of them.so now my total is $50. Since I got it the site already has .40 cent in adsense so that's a good look.
    Http://yaris-performance.com

I think this was a good buy assuming the revenue continues. If you are going with adsense, your first goal should be to get your CTR up to 5% or better.

If you are looking at testing some things, I'd look for either a product that teaches people how to improve their yaris or for parts that people might buy (or both) and either sell them yourself or use affiliate links to make a commission.

Let us know how things go.
  • Ok you guys here are the stats since I got the site in my control. Its been getting around 1.87-2.00 a day in rev from adsene my ctr is at steady 4.60%. I want to see how cpa offers do and I'll hire someone on fiverr to do the design work unless you guys got better suggestions for design.

I'll keep updating the forums as I go. Thanks for all your help thus far
  • [quote="blillard"]
    Ok you guys here are the stats since I got the site in my control. Its been getting around 1.87-2.00 a day in rev from adsene my ctr is at steady 4.60%. I want to see how cpa offers do and I'll hire someone on fiverr to do the design work unless you guys got better suggestions for design.

I'll keep updating the forums as I go. Thanks for all your help thus far

That's actually a good CTR but if it's a very targeted site you could probably double it. Is the site using wordpress? If so, do you know name of the theme and if it's been optimized for the highest CTR?

Chris
  • No its not in wordpress it looks like the site is in php or something im not that good of a webmaster. I added another ad block towards the bottom to see if I can boost the revenue.
  • Anyone know a good designer at a good price. I would do it myself but it seems the site was coded in php or somthing. I was thinking of heading over to fiverr for small changes but thought I would ask the pros first.
  • There are a lot of outsourcing sites that you could use. Chris Yates probably has a few more ideas, but the ones I've used are:
    elance.com and bestjobs.ph

Chris sold a company recently that did php and design work that he could refer you to as well.
  • Ok I been doing some thinking should I turn this into a wordpress site instead? I mean it would be easier for the end user to run and it would better optimized for the serps. I already Hit it with some backlinks from fiverr hope that helps. Any inputs?
  • You would have a bigger market for buying the site if and when you turn around to sell it if it were running on Wordpress. Plus it would save you a lot of money in programmers. I would say yes to switching it. One thing you want to be very careful of is not losing any organic search or links coming into the site. Chris should have some ideas on how to either redirect the old pages or name the new pages so you don't lose the traffic.

One thing Chris and I have put in our list of things to look at when buying a site is if it's on wordpress. We give the site a bigger score (higher the score - more likely to purchase) for having it. It makes it a lot easier for people like me that know nothing about html/php/perl etc.
  • I'd be interested to know if there was a reason the site is using php. Is there any special functionality the site has that wordpress wouldn't allow it to have?
  • Hell No, I dont know why the guy ran the site in php. It don't anything special that wordpress cant. Really wordpress does more than the site lol. Yeah Ill make the switch, any suggestions on the proper adsense theme for the site.
  • Is the site only going to be monetized with adsense? If so, look into CTR Theme at http://www.flipwebsites.com/recommends/ctr-theme.php
  • Would there be a problem with copyright infringement with a site such as this? I mean that it does use Toyota's name in the header and I assume that they copyrighted the model also.

Couldn't Toyota just sweep in with their lawyers and take it over?

Or am I just too paranoid?

Lost in Idaho[hr]
    One other question here.

Why couldn't this whole site just be flipped from the get-go? Do we always HAVE to put x number of hours into them before they're worthy for sale?

I kinda like the idea of just buying low and selling high without all the "work"!

Lost in Idaho
  • I love the thought of just buying and flipping. However, if you sell the site on the same or a similar auction site some buyers may find the old auction and see what you paid for it. If you put some time into improving it you can at least show them what you did to warrant the higher price.

As far as the intellectual property, trademark, tradename conversation: I have a group of individuals I know that work for a company that manages domain names and intellectual property such as trademarks for 80% of the Fortune 500. I asked them the exact same question: "I own a domain with the brand name of one of the companies products. I plan to develop an adsense site from it and am worried they'll come after me at some point. What can they do?" My friends response was this: "If the company found the site and felt like you were damaging their name or somehow abusing it they would send you a letter to turn over the domain name to them. They could take it to court and likely would win if they pursued it. However, because these companies are so large and have so many trade names, trademarks, etc. they don't have time to go after all of them. So unless you are doing something really negative they likely won't do anything."

It's still a gamble, but I went ahead with the one I have so if that gives you any comfort you can make your decision from there.
  • Right! And that seems to be the problem to me. People who buy and sell websites probably tend to frequent the same sites. So wouldn't you need to do some serious improving in order to see a profit? And, like is mentioned in the manual, you quickly get to the $8/hr situation!

How much time - on average - should you spend improving for the quick flip?

Lost in Idaho

[quote="DavidGass"]
    I love the thought of just buying and flipping. However, if you sell the site on the same or a similar auction site some buyers may find the old auction and see what you paid for it. If you put some time into improving it you can at least show them what you did to warrant the higher price.
  • [quote="jrrich"]
    Right! And that seems to be the problem to me. People who buy and sell websites probably tend to frequent the same sites. So wouldn't you need to do some serious improving in order to see a profit? And, like is mentioned in the manual, you quickly get to the $8/hr situation!

How much time - on average - should you spend improving for the quick flip?

Lost in Idaho

Keep in mind that you can buy sites on places like Digital Point and in private deals for much less than what a site sells for on Flippa. So your buy low sell high can certainly work. The key is to determine the type of site you'd like to buy then look at sold auctions on Flippa to determine what they sell for. Once you know this with some certainty, you know about how much you can pay to buy a site undervalued. I hope that helps.

Regarding the time you put in, it doesn't have to always be "labor". For instance, you can spend 1 hour improving the monetization of a site using the existing traffic then sit on it for 2-3 months while it kicks off money before selling.
  • Hey you guys I got good feeling that the buyer of my site is going back out not pay. what should I do?
  • Yeah, that's the problem with buying & selling just about anything on the Internet ... there's always someone out there looking to separate you from your bucks!

Sorry, I don't mean to sound flippant here. Getting scre**d after you put out all your work to develop a good sale sucks. Hopefully the moderators can shed some light on how to deal with this situation?

Lost in Idaho

[quote="blillard"]
    Hey you guys I got good feeling that the buyer of my site is going back out not pay. what should I do?
  • to be honest it might be a blessing in disguise because now I'll get a second chance to make the needed improvements to the site and get a better dollar for it.so im not that mad.
  • [quote="blillard"]
    Hey you guys I got good feeling that the buyer of my site is going back out not pay. what should I do?

Did you sell it on Flippa? If so, there are some things you can do on Flippa.

Did you transfer anything to the buyer?
  • [quote="jrrich"]
    Yeah, that's the problem with buying & selling just about anything on the Internet ... there's always someone out there looking to separate you from your bucks!

Sorry, I don't mean to sound flippant here. Getting scre**d after you put out all your work to develop a good sale sucks. Hopefully the moderators can shed some light on how to deal with this situation?

Lost in Idaho

[quote="blillard"]

A buyer backing out is different from someone trying to screw you out of your money. Unless he transferred everything to the buyer and never got paid, he hasn't lost anything yet.
  • [quote="chrismyates"]
    [quote="jrrich"]
    Yeah, that's the problem with buying & selling just about anything on the Internet ... there's always someone out there looking to separate you from your bucks!

Lost in Idaho

[quote="blillard"]

A buyer backing out is different from someone trying to screw you out of your money. Unless he transferred everything to the buyer and never got paid, he hasn't lost anything yet.

I understand about that. As long as nothing was transferred, he should be okay.

But what about the Flippa fees? Can those be recovered?

Lost in Idaho
  • [quote="jrrich"]
    I understand about that. As long as nothing was transferred, he should be okay.

But what about the Flippa fees? Can those be recovered?

Lost in Idaho

He'll need to go through Flippa's dispute process and they will ultimately determine the outcome.
  • In case you all hadn't seen this article about Flippa's dispute process.

http://flippa.com/blog/no-sale-no-succe ... relisting/
  • Thanks all. No i did not transfer a thing I dont play about my money haha but i'll look into disputes for my fees at least. Now I require a trust rate of at leat 5-6 to even do business with me
  • [quote="blillard"]
    Thanks all. No i did not transfer a thing I dont play about my money haha but i'll look into disputes for my fees at least. Now I require a trust rate of at leat 5-6 to even do business with me

Hope you get your money back, man. I'm rooting for you!

Lost in Idaho[hr]
    Speaking of this 'trust' thing on Flippa, how do we deal with the fact that we have none when first starting out? Aren't prospective buyers going to avoid newbies like us like the plague?

Lost in Idaho
  • I got my cash you guys all it took was a little muscle lol but in the end the buyer paid me. So I'm happy abut things now I can move on to my next flip. I want to thank Chris and Dave for your help and I will return the knowledge I get with those who seek it as I learn more. Lets help one another get rich hehe.
  • [quote="blillard"]
    I got my cash you guys all it took was a little muscle lol but in the end the buyer paid me. So I'm happy abut things now I can move on to my next flip. I want to thank Chris and Dave for your help and I will return the knowledge I get with those who seek it as I learn more. Lets help one another get rich hehe.

Right on! Glad you got paid. Would love to see your writeup in the success story section.