Modestly Successful Flip
  • I just finished my first successful flip (I'm not going to list the URL here so the new owner doesn't get a bunch of unnatural visits).

I bought the site in February on DigitalPoint for $35. The domain was only two months old and ranked on the first page of Google for a couple of keywords. The seller reported no income.

I reworked the site and put adsense blocks on two key pages and did a lot of back-link building. The site made some money on adsense in March and about $25 in April.

I listed it on Flippa a week ago with a $1 starting price, a $180 reserve and a $220 BIN (I don't have the guts to list a site with no reserve). I ended up getting 8 bids, 7 in the last 12 hours of the auction, with the last bidder taking the BIN.

My profit on the deal ended up being $190, after adding adsense income and the sale price and subtracting my purchase price and Flippa/PayPal fees. I did not spring for the $40 Flippa featured listing upgrade.

So, I learned a lot and made a little money. Now, on to the next one . . .
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2011-11-13 15:32:24
  • great story! Congratulations! :)
  • Awesome!! Congrats on the sale. Thanks for providing details for everyone to see as well.
  • Interesting, I'm working my way through this section and one thing I can see on this sale is that you didn't get greedy. If your site made $25/month from Adsense, valuing the site at 24-36 month's revenue would have made it worht much more than it sold for, but by accepting less you got a good deal and the buyer did too.

Perhaps this was also due to the site being quite young with relatively little history, but I like your approach. Congratulations on your success!
  • [quote="jcpeden"]
    Interesting, I'm working my way through this section and one thing I can see on this sale is that you didn't get greedy. If your site made $25/month from Adsense, valuing the site at 24-36 month's revenue would have made it worht much more than it sold for, but by accepting less you got a good deal and the buyer did too.

Perhaps this was also due to the site being quite young with relatively little history, but I like your approach. Congratulations on your success!

My perception of the current market is that it is unrealistic to expect anywhere near 24-36 times monthly revenue for a site sale. But, I would definitely get more active flipping sites if the market would rise to that level.