Sold my first site!
  • My first attempt at selling a site had all the elements of a great psychological thriller movie...it was scary and suspenseful, but very exciting, especially towards the end, and like a great movie, left me wanting more.

The site's positive and negative qualities:
    [list]
    [*]3 yrs old - But only a PR0[/*:m]
    [*]1700 visits a month - But very few Amazon sales[/*:m]
    [*]Earning income - Mostly from Adsense, and only $6/month[/*:m]
    [*]Unique content and design - Unique design yes, but really bad[/*:m][/list:u]

To be honest, I was just hoping to clear my listing fees, because I really didn't think I would make much more than that for this site.

I ran a three day auction, because I wanted it to be quick, and offered no bonuses other than continued hosting on my reseller account. Chris advised offering a bonus, and I agree with that, I just didn't have time to even look for something, never mind creating something. I'll do better next time though.

I set the starting bid at $1 and set no reserve, which I admit was a little scary, especially after I followed Chris' advice and paid the extra $40 for a featured listing. I started it a bit too soon, so I'll wait till the last 24 hours next time, but even so, it was clearly effective and it absolutely boosted the number of auction views.

I wound up with over 700 views and 15 people watching, with 13 bids placed, most within the last few hours of the auction, which was pretty exciting to watch. It finally sold for $135, which left me with a net of about $75 after the listing fee and the featured listing cost. Needless to say I was very happy about it, having such low expectations going into it.

I also have to say a big HUGE thank you to Chris, as I don't think I would have gotten through it without his help.

That first auction was a great learning experience, and I truly expect things to just keep getting better from here! I've been bitten by the auction bug now...and I'm already preparing the next site to go!
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2011-05-29 19:42:58
  • Awesome success. As they say 'the first one is always the toughest, after that it's a walk in the park'. Ok, maybe not a walk in the park, but it does get a lot easier. Thanks for sharing the experience and letting us all know how it went. We love hearing the experiences of those in the group and on the forum. Thanks again.
  • And thank you David, for providing the information needed to begin a business in buying and selling websites. I'm very excited about the possibilities and can hardly wait to get several of mine sold so I can start thinking about buying and flipping!
  • Nursehoney, always have high hopes when you go into your auctions. When you go in with low hopes you send bad frequencies out to the universe and you end up with low results. Aim high real and you'll get high roi's.