• Okay, let's assume for a moment that you only want to pursue the 'quick flip' model. So in other words, you want to move these sites from purchase to sale within 7 days.

Obviously, you can't spend a load of time improving or tweaking the site much. So what exactly DO you do to it?

If I were to buy a site for say $45, and I expect to get $145, it wouldn't make sense to spend more than 4 or so hours on it. What should I do in that amount of time to make it better for the upcoming sale?

I've some members here flipping sites that look like NOTHING was done to them other than a much better sales write-up. Is that the secret? Good copy?

Lost in Idaho
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2011-05-23 11:44:07
  • Addendum:

It seems like buying sites on DP requires quite a bit of due diligence. I've spent a number of hours this weekend going through over 100 offers and I find it difficult to trust ANY of them! It's my cynical side coming through.

As I mentioned earlier, many of them appear to have been 'constructed' within the last couple of weeks so those are probably out of the running. I have found a few that have a bit of history behind them but they're so ugly that they would need a complete graphics and content overhaul in order to attract any buyers.

I don't have the time or money to invest in that.

I guess what I'm asking is, short of spending countless hours & dollars learning the 'ropes, is there a more cookie-cutter approach to evaluating these sites?

Lost in Idaho
  • [quote="jrrich"]
    Okay, let's assume for a moment that you only want to pursue the 'quick flip' model. So in other words, you want to move these sites from purchase to sale within 7 days.

Obviously, you can't spend a load of time improving or tweaking the site much. So what exactly DO you do to it?

If I were to buy a site for say $45, and I expect to get $145, it wouldn't make sense to spend more than 4 or so hours on it. What should I do in that amount of time to make it better for the upcoming sale?

I've some members here flipping sites that look like NOTHING was done to them other than a much better sales write-up. Is that the secret? Good copy?

Lost in Idaho

For a 7 day flip, you are right. It's basically buying a site undervalued (some sites on DP are undervalued) and selling it at or near its true value on a marketplace like Flippa. If you only have a few hours to put in, your highest leverage will be focusing on creating and running a really great auction.
  • [quote="jrrich"]
    Addendum:

It seems like buying sites on DP requires quite a bit of due diligence. I've spent a number of hours this weekend going through over 100 offers and I find it difficult to trust ANY of them! It's my cynical side coming through.

As I mentioned earlier, many of them appear to have been 'constructed' within the last couple of weeks so those are probably out of the running. I have found a few that have a bit of history behind them but they're so ugly that they would need a complete graphics and content overhaul in order to attract any buyers.

I don't have the time or money to invest in that.

I guess what I'm asking is, short of spending countless hours & dollars learning the 'ropes, is there a more cookie-cutter approach to evaluating these sites?

Lost in Idaho

Even ugly sites sell on Flippa if they have something else of value such as search engine ranking, traffic, pagerank, low alexa, etc.

Perhaps it would help you to focus on one thing that is easy for you to determine value on. For instance, only buy sites with search engine ranking from DP that you know you can sell for more on Flippa.

It's hard for a seller to fake search engine ranking.

That's just one example. Does that help?