Page Rank Thoughts
  • Lately I've been looking at Page Rank, and I'm a bit puzzled by a few things.

I've seen domains dropping with useful page rank that have obviously not had a site on them, but have been pointing to a landing page with page rank - eg. braunf1,com dropped with PR6 because it was pointed at brawnf1,com .

I an wondering if it is possible to give a domain PR by pointing it at a site with PR, then waiting for the next PR review.

These thoughts are complicated by two things - the first is that there has just been a PR review, so no test can be made in a hurry, the second is that I don't know how to point a domain at a site - what is the easiest way to do that?.
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2011-07-15 19:38:00
  • [quote="crabfoot"]
    Lately I've been looking at Page Rank, and I'm a bit puzzled by a few things.

I've seen domains dropping with useful page rank that have obviously not had a site on them, but have been pointing to a landing page with page rank - eg. braunf1,com dropped with PR6 because it was pointed at brawnf1,com .

I an wondering if it is possible to give a domain PR by pointing it at a site with PR, then waiting for the next PR review.

These thoughts are complicated by two things - the first is that there has just been a PR review, so no test can be made in a hurry, the second is that I don't know how to point a domain at a site - what is the easiest way to do that?.

I'm not sure I completely understand your question here, but something that is important to know is that Pagerank can be faked by doing a 301 redirect from one domain to a high PR domain. There are free tools out there to check for faked pagerank. Does this explain what you are seeing?
  • [quote="chrismyates"]

I'm not sure I completely understand your question here, but something that is important to know is that Pagerank can be faked by doing a 301 redirect from one domain to a high PR domain. There are free tools out there to check for faked pagerank. Does this explain what you are seeing?

I'm aware that the PR comes from redirection, or pointing the domain to land on the index of a high PR site.

I'm not thinking of building sites with "fake" PR and flipping them - I'm thinking long term, that I could get a lot of sites with good PR going, which would then be good for giving links to sites that I intend flipping.

Like a lot of people, I have a lot of semi-useful domains parked up that are waiting for attention, and only good for low grade links in the short term. I might as well try to improve the quality of those links, if I can do it without much effort.

I suppose that what I really want to know is how to do redirects easily, without having server access or using PHP!

I have very rudimentary web programming skills, all my sites are simple HTML/CSS - and because that sort is kind to my bandwidth, I don't see any reason for more elaborate stuff. And I'm getting too old to learn, it starts falling out of your head pretty rapidly after you reach 55...
  • [quote="crabfoot"]

I suppose that what I really want to know is how to do redirects easily, without having server access or using PHP!

I have very rudimentary web programming skills, all my sites are simple HTML/CSS - and because that sort is kind to my bandwidth, I don't see any reason for more elaborate stuff. And I'm getting too old to learn, it starts falling out of your head pretty rapidly after you reach 55...

Hi, this is 3 redirect methods:

1. PHP method
    Create index.php with next code:

<?
    $ref=$_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'];
    if ($ref!='') $ref='?'.$ref;
    header('HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently');
    header('Location: <!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://yournewdomain.com/'.$ref\">http://yournewdomain.com/'.$ref</a><!-- m -->);
    exit();
    ?&gt;

2. .htaccess method
    Create a .htaccess file with next code:
    RedirectPermanent / http://yournewdomain.com/

3. mode rewrite method
    Create a .htaccess file with next code
    Options +FollowSymLinks
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule (.*) http://yournewdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

(This works ONLY if Apache Mod-Rewrite moduled enabled. )

Alex ;)
  • [quote="crabfoot"]
    I'm not thinking of building sites with "fake" PR and flipping them - I'm thinking long term, that I could get a lot of sites with good PR going, which would then be good for giving links to sites that I intend flipping.

Like a lot of people, I have a lot of semi-useful domains parked up that are waiting for attention, and only good for low grade links in the short term. I might as well try to improve the quality of those links, if I can do it without much effort.

I re-read your initial question and the response.

Is this your goal?

domain1.com is the domain you plan to flip in the future.
    domain2.com is the domain with PR you can acquire.

You want to redirect domain2.com to domain1.com in order to increase the pagerank of domain1.com?

If that's your goal, there are a lot of things to consider.

1.) Even in the best case scenario, it's extremely difficult to do a "perfect" domain change without losing Google ranking. Since you are only trying to pass PR, this might be less of a concern for you.

2.) If domain2.com is a dropped domain, you need to make sure you are able to create new original content with the same page names that used to exist on it before it was dropped and ideally you'll want to try to pick up the domain before it's "publicly" dropped. If you don't do that, the site could lose PR.

3.) When you are ready to do the domain change, follow the instructions here http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... swer=83106

4.) After you've done the redirect, the best case scenario is to contact all the people who linked to domain2.com and get them to change their links to domain1.com since the site has moved.

I've never done this for the sole purpose of passing PR, but in theory if you follow my and Google's instructions, it could work.

I hope I understood the goal of what you're trying to achieve.

Chris.
  • My concept is to build a set of sites with decent PR, so I can give links to start-up builds, or pass some juice to them, as they say. If I can get the start-ups ranking quickly, it should save me the bother of sifting through the dross to find something to flip.

Buying links is never cheap. Someone I respect dropped into a conversation that he had bought sites and domains with PR to provide himself with links, and that he has them hosted independently with regard to his "working sites".

Monkey see, monkey do ...
  • I know people still make a big deal out of Page Rank, but I have a faint recollection (I'm also over 55 and losing brain cells daily) of reading somewhere that Google publicly stated a couple of years ago that PR is of no further use and they don't include it in the search algorithm anymore. Was I dreaming, or did they really say that? And, if so, why do people still worry so much about PR?
  • [quote="crabfoot"]
    My concept is to build a set of sites with decent PR, so I can give links to start-up builds, or pass some juice to them, as they say. If I can get the start-ups ranking quickly, it should save me the bother of sifting through the dross to find something to flip.

Buying links is never cheap. Someone I respect dropped into a conversation that he had bought sites and domains with PR to provide himself with links, and that he has them hosted independently with regard to his "working sites".

Monkey see, monkey do ...

This is actually a great concept in my opinion and it's something we do. Buy up related sites and network them together to make the whole more valuable than the sum of the parts. This is certainly applicable to more than link building (think mailing lists, complementary products, etc.).

Here's a few suggestions on how to get the best results.

1.) Use private registration on the domains you buy.
    2.) Host the sites on different web hosting companies from your "money sites".
    3.) Try to only link together sites with related content (although this isn't always necessary) because contextual links are better.

Chris.
  • [quote="Keywordcontentguy"]
    I know people still make a big deal out of Page Rank, but I have a faint recollection (I'm also over 55 and losing brain cells daily) of reading somewhere that Google publicly stated a couple of years ago that PR is of no further use and they don't include it in the search algorithm anymore. Was I dreaming, or did they really say that? And, if so, why do people still worry so much about PR?

I'm not sure I've seen that article, but in my opinion PR is a measure of the quality of backlinks a website has. Backlinks are definitely important, however specifically the number on the PR doesn't necessarily mean a site will have a certain rank because Google has many other factors for ranking that they are using now.

Here's a great read. You'll notice little to no mention of Pagerank specifically.
    http://www.seomoz.org/article/search-ra ... #metrics-1
  • [quote="chrismyates"]
    [quote="Keywordcontentguy"]
    I know people still make a big deal out of Page Rank, but I have a faint recollection (I'm also over 55 and losing brain cells daily) of reading somewhere that Google publicly stated a couple of years ago that PR is of no further use and they don't include it in the search algorithm anymore. Was I dreaming, or did they really say that? And, if so, why do people still worry so much about PR?

I'm not sure I've seen that article, but in my opinion PR is a measure of the quality of backlinks a website has. Backlinks are definitely important, however specifically the number on the PR doesn't necessarily mean a site will have a certain rank because Google has many other factors for ranking that they are using now.

Here's a great read. You'll notice little to no mention of Pagerank specifically.
    http://www.seomoz.org/article/search-ra ... #metrics-1

Thanks for that link. Here is a new article discussing Google's thoughts on PR:

http://www.seroundtable.com/google-page ... 13645.html

I guess in the short-run, at least, what matters is what people buying and selling websites think, since they are the ones who determine the actual value of domains and websites. So, if the market thinks PR is an important valuation factor, then it is.
  • [quote="Keywordcontentguy"]
    I guess in the short-run, at least, what matters is what people buying and selling websites think, since they are the ones who determine the actual value of domains and websites. So, if the market thinks PR is an important valuation factor, then it is.

Absolutely true. Your site is always worth what someone else is willing to pay.

On another note. I just looked at a PR5 domain that was for sale. At first glance, it looked like a great deal. After doing a little digging, all the backlinks were coming from other sites the seller owned and all those sites were also for sale. So really, it wasn't a good deal at all because more than likely in a month or two most backlinks to the PR5 site would disappear!
  • There's a rather obvious point that nobody's mentioned - if Google are doing nothing that involves PR, why are they still assigning and reviewing PR?

And now, the conundrum of the week. A while back I bought a pair of dropping PR3 domains, ecologicalarchitects. com and ecologicalarchitect (singular version). I had a buyer in mind, but he wasn't interested.

In the recent PR review, the plural was demoted to PR0. while the singular kept its PR3.

I've had this spoof idea in mind for some time, and the closest fit domain in my unused domains box was ecologicalarchitects.com , for something that didn't matter much and loosely fitted the subject. I threw up the spoof site and put a link to it on Experienced People, for an entirely different discussion subject.

Yea, brethren, in less than 12 hours of its existence this domain was restored to PR3, despite having a different landing page, one link in, and never having a site on it before!

The content is unique and entertaining, but, at three pages, there's hardly a lot of it ... WTH I'm not complaining, but I've never heard of instant PR restoration before. If the site keeps its rating, it will fit in with my link building ideas.

If you have a heap of domains that lost PR in that review, don't give up hope ... build on them anyway, see what happens.
  • [quote="crabfoot"]
    There's a rather obvious point that nobody's mentioned - if Google are doing nothing that involves PR, why are they still assigning and reviewing PR?

And now, the conundrum of the week. A while back I bought a pair of dropping PR3 domains, ecologicalarchitects. com and ecologicalarchitect (singular version). I had a buyer in mind, but he wasn't interested.

In the recent PR review, the plural was demoted to PR0. while the singular kept its PR3.

I've had this spoof idea in mind for some time, and the closest fit domain in my unused domains box was ecologicalarchitects.com , for something that didn't matter much and loosely fitted the subject. I threw up the spoof site and put a link to it on Experienced People, for an entirely different discussion subject.

Yea, brethren, in less than 12 hours of its existence this domain was restored to PR3, despite having a different landing page, one link in, and never having a site on it before!

The content is unique and entertaining, but, at three pages, there's hardly a lot of it ... WTH I'm not complaining, but I've never heard of instant PR restoration before. If the site keeps its rating, it will fit in with my link building ideas.

If you have a heap of domains that lost PR in that review, don't give up hope ... build on them anyway, see what happens.

Great feedback here. One thing to point out is that there is always the possibility that the tool you were using to check PR was glitchy at that particular time. I've used the firefox Google toolbar and got like 3 different PR readings on the same page each refresh.
  • C'Mon, all those PR checkers look at a sample of Google ref sites - I don't really know how they check, they just come back with a number. So I tried three PR checkers, all came back PR3 today.

WTH I've never seen this phenomenon described before. This domain was down to PR0 and Google rapidly gave it the PR3 back - like I said, the domain never hosted a site, to my knowledge.

Apart from the links out, the content is completely original and unique. That might be an edge ... but I think the previous PR status plays a part. Whatever I do is original and unique, in web terms, but if I put that unique content on a PRzilch site, it stays at PRzilch.

Stand well back, I'm learning ...