Preparing my old site for fast sale.
  • Though I'm new to flipping I've been building web-pages since the late 90s. One of my biggest projects is http://www.BuickStreet.com. I made it in 2002 because at the time I owned an old Buick (Electra 225) and I had the idea to run features on cool Buicks I spotted around the net. It's going to be my first sale. I did try to list it once a little while ago but pulled it because because I realised the income was mixed because I didn't know about channels all those years ago.

I have 65 pages of unique content. I rank number 1 for lots of Buick related terms. I rank above Buick.com for the search "Buicks". I have a link from Buick.com on their "enthusiast's websites". I even have permission from Buick (somewhere) that it's cool to use the word Buick in Buickstreet.

Anyway, I haven't added any content to it for years except for late last year we decided to convert it to a wordpress blog. The site has PR4 (I think) and gets about 5,000 unique visitors every month like clockwork since 2004. My 8 year average for 2003-2010 is 10,747 Unique Views and 49,500 Page views per month. So it's a nice little site doing quite well for itself in a small micro niche - Buick enthusiasts.

The reason for this post is to assist the team in getting this site as ready as I can for sale in order to sell it fast. I don't want to spend too much time on it because I think there are better sites I should be working on. However it is what it is. It makes about $1-2 a day at the moment but in it's hey day it pulled a regular $350 a month - just like clockwork.

If I wanted to keep it I could think of lots of things like add some fresh content and do some linking (which I've never done seriously) but I'm looking for some quick fixes so I can send it on it's way with a fast sale and the re-invest in something that I can work on full time. I want to move into the mid-high range sites asap. Buickstreet has to go. Should I sell it as it is or is there anything I can do "renovate" it? Your opinions would be appreciated. It's not the most beautiful site in the world but I'd like it back on the market in the next few days if possible.
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2011-07-11 13:13:51
  • I'd consider going to private buyers who may find more value for the site then if you auctioned it off. Perhaps do a search on google for keywords you rank high for and find others on page one or two that are sites who may be interested in buying yours. Then send them an email to see if they have interest. These folks may be willing to pay more.

I'd also consider adding a few affiliate type links to the site - maybe there is a auto sales site that sells buicks that pays for leads etc. Anything to get the revenue up on the site could help get a higher price. That being said, the site has some value with a PR4 and high keyword ranking.
  • Hi Bill,

Thanks for sharing the site. If your plan is to sell it as is with the least time as possible, the best thing to do is to spend your time preparing and running a great flippa auction. The site will sell, it's just a matter of getting maximum exposure and highest price.

If you'd like to do some work on the site, I'd start by looking at how you monetize the site. Do you only use adsense? If so, you can definitely increase your CTR by tweaking the ad positioning. Currently your ads are not in the "hot" area of the site for CTR.

If it were me, I'd make some changes to the layout to increase CTR and hire someone to do some quick link building for me. Assuming the changes make the earnings increase, I'd sit on it until the earnings level out then flip it.
  • Actually, since posting this I've had two offers (out of the blue) for text links on the front page. One was $120 a year but the other (and latest) one is $50 a month. I asked them if they could transfer the deal to the new owner as I was thinking of selling. They came back with "how much do you want", I said "you first" (not falling for our tricks!...lol), they offered 4 digits straight up, I countered with an honest ask and told them what I had on the table. No response yet.
  • [quote="MrBaz"]
    Actually, since posting this I've had two offers (out of the blue) for text links on the front page. One was $120 a year but the other (and latest) one is $50 a month. I asked them if they could transfer the deal to the new owner as I was thinking of selling. They came back with "how much do you want", I said "you first" (not falling for our tricks!...lol), they offered 4 digits straight up, I countered with an honest ask and told them what I had on the table. No response yet.

It's quite possible it came from this forum. Keep in touch with me through the negotiations and hopefully you'll get 'er sold.
  • Will do. I want to clear it all and start with that money to find something juicy that I can really get stuck into.
  • Offer was just doubled but still a few hundred shy of my ask and it comes with conditions (wait a week). I said I would offer all the others a chance to meet me at the full price by the time he comes up with his cash. If he agrees we'll spit 'n shake. Stay tuned.