Help with transferring 1st website...
  • Hi flippers,

I just purchased a website from DP last night. I'm pretty excited, but before I start making changes on it, I have to get access to it.

I'm trying to get access to my cpanel details on GoDaddy, but I don't know where to find them. Where are they?

Also, the seller is telling me to open a new NameCheap.com account so that he can transfer the domain to me. Can't he just transfer it over to my GoDaddy account? Why would he want me to open up a new NameCheap account?

Thanks in advance,

-Johnson.
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2011-08-09 16:02:11
  • Johnson,

The reason he wants to use namecheap is because he can "push" the domain. This is better than doing a full transfer (faster). I recommend going that route.

Regarding hosting, I recommend setting up a hostgator account for hosting instead of godaddy. It will make your life much easier and they will handle the transfer for you if you request it.

Chris
  • Second what Chris says. The actual domain "transfer" process if you have to do it is a bit complex, and can take forever... "pushing" from one account to another within the same registrar is so easy.

As far as transferring, there are a couple of different ways, but I'd just go with having your host handle it for you... it's easier... less potential for things to go wrong when you don't know what you're doing... or even when you do.

Don't ask me how I know. ROFL
  • Hey Chris and HAdrian1239,

Thanks for the advice! I just bought a HostGator business plan and setting that up as I write this.

The previous website owner sent me a database.gz file and the website files... do I forward these to hostgator support now, or is it faster if I do it myself? How exactly do they help me transfer the website over to me?

Thanks,

-Johnson.
  • Hey Johnson,
    Contact them via their chat interface and explain your position.They will help you right away.
  • Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help so far. HostGator have been kind enough to help me do everything. I'm just waiting for all the new information to propagate through. Is the WHOIS registry meant to show my details as being the new owner? If so, how long does it take?

Cheers,

-Johnson.
  • [quote="Johnson"]
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help so far. HostGator have been kind enough to help me do everything. I'm just waiting for all the new information to propagate through. Is the WHOIS registry meant to show my details as being the new owner? If so, how long does it take?

Cheers,

-Johnson.

Johnson,

Yes, it should show your information not the seller's. Here are some steps to help you.

1.) Log into your domain account and verify the domain is in there.
    2.) "Edit" the contact information on the domain and make sure your information is there.
    3.) Wait 48 hours and all whois should reflect your info.

Chris.
  • Hi Chris,

My domain is with Namecheap.com. I went into the "change contacts" link and edited the Registrant, Administrative and Technical contact information so that my details are in there. I actually did this quite a while ago now. The changes haven't been reflected in WHOIS yet.

There is a "WHOIS business listing" that I can purchase for $10. I don't have to buy this to get my website's WHOIS information updated, do I?

Cheers,

-Johnson.[hr]
    Update: I just checked the WHOIS link through Namecheap and it shows that everything has indeed been updated. I used "whorush" for the WHOIS information and it wasn't showing the most updated details. Why is there a discrepancy?

Cheers,

-Johnson.
  • [quote="Johnson"]
    I used "whorush" for the WHOIS information and it wasn't showing the most updated details. Why is there a discrepancy?

whorush's database probably just hasn't been updated yet. I'm not familiar with them specifically but as long as the namecheap whois shows the correct info, then the rest of the "whois world" will follow suit soon.
  • Once you got the name verified in your account simply take your files that he sent you and ftp them normally in the proper directory. Youtube saved my life.