What are people exactly buying when they buy a text link on your website?
  • Hi guys,

Just continuing the topic about selling text links. I only just realized how valuable it actually was seeing the [WTB] prefixes in the link sales area; people were telling us flippers EXACTLY what they wanted if they were to purchase a text link on our website (before we flipped it).

Some of the more popular criteria were:
    [list=1]
    [*]home page links[/*:m]
    [*]blog post links[/*:m]
    [*]links on sites with low outbound links[/*:m]
    [*]no link farms (e.g. link directories with traffic mainly coming from India?)[/*:m]
    [*]no dropped domains[/*:m]
    [*]a QUALITY website[/*:m][/list:o]

I just want to clarify something about selling the text link: are the buyers buying the text link for the "PR juice" that will "leak" over to their website, or are they buying it for the traffic, where a high PR is simply a sign of the the authority of the website? I hope I'm making sense.

I'm leaning more towards the former reason, mainly because in the [WTS] threads, there aren't really any people talking about just how much traffic their website gets, as if it's unimportant. It's all PR this and PR that.

If that's the case however, then why does it matter whether the website is a link farm (directory) or not? If they only want "PR juice", then it doesn't really matter whether anyone's actually clicking on their link, i.e. it's more so for SEO purposes than anything else.

I think I've confused myself even more here, lol. Can anyone help clarify this for me?

Cheers,

-Johnson.
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2011-08-26 17:37:37
  • Johnson,

You're on the right track. People are buying the links solely for SEO purposes (to pass on link juice). A link from a site with a lot of outbound links (link farm) splits the "juice" among all of the sites so it's less valuable to people buying. Hope that helps.

Chris
  • Thanks for the continual help, Chris. If this is indeed the case, I've got another question: what have people got against getting link juice from high PR domains? Is it because it's simply "ghost" PR, i.e. remnant PR from the previous website that it belonged to?

I would imagine that getting link juice from a high PR website where the domain has belonged to the website from the very beginning is worth more than getting link juice from a high PR website where the domain was just picked up and has "ghost" PR. The question here is two-fold:

1. will people buy links on high PR websites, even if the domain has just been picked up?
    2. is there any value in selling websites with domains that had just been picked up?

Let me know if I've confused you.

Cheers,

-Johnson.
  • People like the SEO power of a link. This SEO power is less if the PageRank of a site was set before the site was bought.
  • When you say "picked up" are you referring to a a high PR domain that was dropped and you got? Dropped domains aren't as valuable.

Ideally you'll "pick up" or just buy the domain before it shows as dropped with registrars.

Obviously the search engines know when a site's registrar, whois info, hosting/ip, and content change all at once that something is going on.

You'll need to put up all the same named pages with very similar content that the old site had. If you can do this and you wait a couple months after things settle down with the PR, I'd say you'll have a good chance of being in good shape.
  • Hey Chris,

So in general, it's a good idea to stay away from just dropped domains with high PR that have a new website linked to them, in terms of flipping. This is because the PR value will drop/fluctuate as soon as search engines realize that the domain isn't associated with the old website that "gave" it that high PR initially. Is that what you mean?

Cheers,

-Johnson.
  • [quote="Johnson"]
    Hey Chris,

So in general, it's a good idea to stay away from just dropped domains with high PR that have a new website linked to them, in terms of flipping. This is because the PR value will drop/fluctuate as soon as search engines realize that the domain isn't associated with the old website that "gave" it that high PR initially. Is that what you mean?

Cheers,

-Johnson.

I'm not saying to stay away from them. You were asking why they were valued less. They can be great, but if you have the choice to pick up a domain that isn't shown as dropped, that's your best option.
  • Awesome. Also, another stupid question: with link sales, is it implied that they are paid for on a monthly basis, hence giving a monthly income, which would increase the value of the website? I've just seen some people selling permanent links on DP for a one-off price. This would obviously only benefit the owner of that website at that point in time. The value in selling links is in getting monthly income, right?

Cheers,

-Johnson.
  • [quote="Johnson"]
    Awesome. Also, another stupid question: with link sales, is it implied that they are paid for on a monthly basis, hence giving a monthly income, which would increase the value of the website? I've just seen some people selling permanent links on DP for a one-off price. This would obviously only benefit the owner of that website at that point in time. The value in selling links is in getting monthly income, right?

Cheers,

-Johnson.

Johnson,

It's totally up to you, but yes, for flipping, monthly income is much better and would be the best choice.