New member needs advice about site
  • I have a site I picked up a few months back. Only monetized with adsense. I have free StatCounter on it but not Google Stats. I got 3,346 page loads in April and so far for May...5,374 page loads. It has been going up every month. I have not updated or done anything to the site (no new content since Nov 2009). I only have stats since 22nd January 2010. I consistently earn $30.00 in adsense each month without fail. Not one cent of any kind of paid traffic. It is all search engine traffic and referrals from articles. The theme is small 700px wide I think, older theme. Also, it is a PR3. CTR is average of 1.72% for May and 4.37% for April.

Not an impressive site but it is mine. lol

Questions:
    1. Should I upgrade theme and will doing this hurt me with google?
    2. Should I back date (if possible) new content or just add new content from today?
    3. Should I put on Google stats now and show in my flippa auction both stat places or wait three months to show only google stats.
    4. Also the keyword that everyone is clicking on to come to my site is available as a domain name. Should I buy and develop it?

I need coaching! Wish those spots would open up. LOL :D[hr]
    Added Note: I also have Dmoz listed.
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2010-05-29 19:22:16
  • CTR is average of 1.72% for May and 4.37% for April.

Is this the CTR for adsense? If so I am sure we can get that to at least 10% and more than double your money. 10% is conservative. If you do it right you can expect between a 15% and 20% CTR on adsense ads.

1. Should I upgrade theme and will doing this hurt me with google?

Upgrading your theme will not hurt your google rankings.

2. Should I back date (if possible) new content or just add new content from today?

Do it from today! Google loves nothing more than fresh content. Also when you flip it mention how fresh the content is.

3. Should I put on Google stats now and show in my flippa auction both stat places or wait three months to show only google stats.

Put on google analytics right away. Like right after you read this. Also, if you are ready to flip then don't wait. Just show them both traffic stats.

4. Also the keyword that everyone is clicking on to come to my site is available as a domain name. Should I buy and develop it?

Hmmm. Well if you sell this domain then you would be competing with your buyer for that keyword. I honestly wouldn't do it because to me it wouldn't be right. Up to you though.
  • Thank you for your response. Yes, it is all adsense. Will look into how to put on Google stats ASAP.
    Any idea of $$ I could get? Also, I do not mind sitting on this one for a few months, I have others I can sell.
  • If you need help with google analytics just let us know.

Catz I gotta be honest. I think you shouldn't sell it right now. Like I said your adsense CTR is pretty low. With a few changes you could increase it a lot.

The course talks about increasing revenue and not traffic. This is a classic example. You can keep the same amount of traffic and increase earnings by changing where and how your adsense shows up.
  • [quote="Brent Jacoby"]
    If you need help with google analytics just let us know.

Catz I gotta be honest. I think you shouldn't sell it right now. Like I said your adsense CTR is pretty low. With a few changes you could increase it a lot.

The course talks about increasing revenue and not traffic. This is a classic example. You can keep the same amount of traffic and increase earning by changing where and how your adsense shows up.

Excellent! Thanks for telling me to wait. I had the gut feeling but so noob at this.
  • Don't sell.

Maximise that revenue first. Don't worry about increasing traffic - work with what you've got.

Test some different Adsense positions and I would be surprised if you couldn't increase that CTR by at least 4x

Also, sell some text links. You should be able to make an easy $50 a month on a PR3.
  • [quote="Thomas"]
    Don't sell.

Maximise that revenue first. Don't worry about increasing traffic - work with what you've got.

Test some different Adsense positions and I would be surprised if you couldn't increase that CTR by at least 4x

Also, sell some text links. You should be able to make an easy $50 a month on a PR3.

Maximize revenue? Sell text links? Lost? I'm such a noob but will certainly look into all of it. Thanks so much for all the replies. I will wait to sell. May I pm you Thomas?
  • Have you read all of the ebook? We discuss in great detail the notion of maximising revenue (ie make the most of what you've got) and also wrote a whole chapter on selling text links to maximise revenue.

Sure thing, I don't bite :)
  • [quote="Thomas"]
    Have you read all of the ebook? We discuss in great detail the notion of maximising revenue (ie make the most of what you've got) and also wrote a whole chapter on selling text links to maximise revenue.

Sure thing, I don't bite :)

Yes I have read the whole thing and will be reading it again, and again, tonight at work!
    Thanks, will PM you tomorrow, I am off for night shift.