Hoping to sell my first site soon, here's what I've learnt
  • For those of you who don't know me, I bought my first site, ReportsUFO.com, a few weeks back. It has PR3 and although the traffic stats and earnings were a little optimistic, I'm making about $1/month, $3.50/mille and getting around 350 uniques/month.

All in all, its not going to sell for very much in its current state but as I paid $100 or $110 for it, I'm not too fussed. Its been quite a learning curve and although I've still got a long way to go, here are some things I've picked up from this first site:
    [list]
    [*]Don't guess or assume, use Flippa.com to check out auctions that were won for sites like yours and see how much they were won for.[/*:m]
    [*]Plan out every action and milestone before you buy[/*:m]
    [*]Stick to your plan and stay on schedule[/*:m]
    [*]Don't rush to buy a site, there are loads of them![/*:m]
    [*]If the site is too good to be true, it is too good to be true.[/*:m]
    [*]Ask yourself if you can really make money from your site. UFO sites don't make a lot of money from advertising as CPC rates/buyer likelihood are so low.[/*:m][/list:u]

In hindsight, I think I paid well over the odds for my site. Its probably worth about half what I paid for it. As I've not had a solid plan, didn't know how much it was worth or how easy/difficult it would be to monetize, I'm sort of stuck not knowing if I should try to sell ads or build traffic...wasting time and effort.

Chris suggested waiting until January to sell so here is my plan at this point in time:

[list]
    [*]Request backlinks from my competitor's most authoritative backlinkers[/*:m]
    [*]Continue regularly posting (just commenting on UFO news in Google alerts) and promoting my posts via social meida[/*:m]
    [*]Try to sell 5-10 text link or banner ads (easier to increase revenue than traffic)[/*:m]
    [*]List the site in early January, with good sales copy, loads of valid stats and a great BIN bonus[/*:m]
    [*]Hope and pray that I at least break-even[/*:m][/list:u]

I think I really underestimated how difficult this would all be and in addition to that, rushed into buying my site a little. Next time around, I'm going to pay a bit more for a bigger, better site but make sure there is plenty of scope to up the CPM quickly and easily.

Best of luck to anyone else starting out, hope you have more success than me!
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2011-12-06 12:11:53
  • The insight and experience you've received here is definitely worth more than $100! I look at this as a success so far.

You are someone who actually took action. I'd love to see you do a second deal. Keep at it. We're here to support you.
  • Totally agree Chris, I can see the potential of flipping websites lurking underneath but like anything else there is a learning curve. I want to get onto 4, 5 or 6-figure sites but you've got to walk before you can run!