• I'm trying to boost my site's RPM (currently about $3.75 RPM) generated exclusively from Adsense.

I'm trying to sell text links on my site but not having a huge amount of success. Is my traffic too low or my sales copy no good?

You can see my proposal here
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2012-01-03 10:53:38
  • You seem to be positioning your classified ad to people who would buy the ad for the traffic. People who buy links often are buying it purely for the SEO benefit. If you look over some of the other WTS links, you'll get a feel for what I'm referring to.

If you don't have any luck on the forum, you might want to consider contacting some other sites in your niche to offer the ads or seeing if a linkbroker will work with you.
  • Thanks Chris,

I know my traffic stats aren't exactly mind-blowing so I'm working to get my traffic (specifically organic search traffic) up by guest posting as recommended by Stefan and outlined in my SEO thread. I'll check out some of the other WTS threads but I've contacted all of the appropriate WTB threads from the last 30 days but no responses thus far.

I've not really got any idea how much I should be charging. I'm throwing all sorts of prices round but as I said, no responses.
  • Just for the learning experience, I might suggest you talk to some link brokers about what they think you can get for links on your site. What price ranges have you quoted? Where is the money in your market (who is advertising in it)?
  • Can you recommend any text link brokers Chris?

I setup two ads the other day. One offering links in blog posts and one offering links in the blog roll:

[list]
    [*]PR3 Blogroll Links for Sale - UFO/Sci-Fi/Alien Niche[/*:m]
    [*]Sponsored Posts on PR3 UFO/Alien Niche site - 2 Links + 100 Word Review of Your Site [/*:m][/list:u]

I had one guy contact me and ask for more information about the site but nothing else so far. I've tried dropping my prices a little to stimulate interest.

I think the real problem here is not my PR or my sales copy but the fact that ultimately I've bought a fairly low traffic site in a niche that doesn't have particularly high CPC because nobody really wants to advertise in it.

What do you think?
  • I googled "text link brokers" but I realised I've already signed up with a few e.g. text-link-ads.com.

As I said, I don't think the UFO/alien niche is the most appealing to advertisers...I'm working to improve traffic and PR though...watch this space!
  • [quote="jcpeden"]
    Can you recommend any text link brokers Chris?

I setup two ads the other day. One offering links in blog posts and one offering links in the blog roll:

[list]
    [*]PR3 Blogroll Links for Sale - UFO/Sci-Fi/Alien Niche[/*:m]
    [*]Sponsored Posts on PR3 UFO/Alien Niche site - 2 Links + 100 Word Review of Your Site [/*:m][/list:u]

I had one guy contact me and ask for more information about the site but nothing else so far. I've tried dropping my prices a little to stimulate interest.

I think the real problem here is not my PR or my sales copy but the fact that ultimately I've bought a fairly low traffic site in a niche that doesn't have particularly high CPC because nobody really wants to advertise in it.

What do you think?

Have you looked at the other alien related sites to see if they have any advertisers? There must be someone like magazines who cater to this audience.

[quote="jcpeden"]
    I googled "text link brokers" but I realised I've already signed up with a few e.g. text-link-ads.com.

As I said, I don't think the UFO/alien niche is the most appealing to advertisers...I'm working to improve traffic and PR though...watch this space!

Call or email the companies you signed up with and ask them to give you their opinion on how to best go about selling the ads and what prices would be best. They are dealing with this every day so they may give you some insight I don't have.
  • Signed up with TextLinkAds.com (not for this site) but sold a TLA on a PR4 site with them today at $13.00/month, of which I get 50%.

Certainly makes for an easier flip down the line!

John
  • Great news. I sometimes find that contacting SEO companies who work with clients in your niche can be a good strategy to sell some links. A lot of the emails we get about people wanting to buy ads are handled through SEO companies.
  • Makes sense, particularly going down the route you suggested of selling sites who want a PR/authority boost as oppose to a traffic boost.