Gussying up for a sale - a few questions
  • I have a number of websites sitting around doing, well, nothing. A few of them are getting a trickle of adsense in, but that's about it.

I've started tidying up the best of them for sale: www.garden-way.com

I have the following tasks to go before I can feel that the site is "ready"..

* Finish off formatting the sales letter for the eBook
    * optimize the adsense a bit more on the post pages
    * add ebay to more of the posts (I have added some to the bottom of the most popular posts e.g. http://www.garden-way.com/have-your-own ... gauge.html, but there are over 1000 posts on the site, not sure if I should keep going.) I might change the format of the widget too.
    * Add more articles for each Month
    * Document how to maintain the site (around an hour a month.)

There are also some improvements I could make to the site like add some amazon listings, add some cj.com ads, clickbank products etc. Would adding these make a difference to the final sale price?

Should I wait a month or so after implementing the adsense optimization? If I can get more for the site by waiting a month until the earnings rise, would this be a good idea? Or should I just sell some text link ads on it and call it a day?

I guess I just don't want to waste time on improvements that won't net me any extra $$.

Any ideas would be great. :-)

Julia
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2010-06-09 23:41:33
  • Julia,
    Is that an autoblog?
  • Hey Julia,

Thanks for posting your site here. As Buddy said, is it an autoblog? I'm assuming so.

IMO time is money - so wouldn't bother with anything you mentioned except the documentation on running it UNLESS you feel there will be a significant improvement in revenue with the changes.

Would be a shame to spend 4-5 hours making changes only to make a few extra $

Thomas
  • [quote="BillyPilgrim"]
    Julia,
    Is that an autoblog?

Hey Billy. It's a hybrid. I don't pull articles/RSS feeds in as such, they are pushed to me. This content ranks really poorly, though as it has been plastered all over the web at about the same time.. (Although occasionally I get a total winner.) I also use PLR content, some of which is rewritten so that it is unique, and the odd article that I have had a writer write for me.

I usually build sites for people, rather than search engines or SEO. One of my failings, I think.

What I do is have the articles that come in posted to "draft". When I get a few articles come through on one topic, I might re-write one or have one written on that topic. Then I will release them (publish them) as a "special feature" topic. I can control the quality that way and the site looks more human and less sploggy, even though the articles are free. The unique articles rank OK, but folks stay on the site because there are a number of articles there on the topic they are interested in. The human readers don't care that the articles aren't unique, and this makes the site stickier.

That's the theory anyway!!

Oh yeah.. I have over 1k articles on the site and around 3k in drafts.[hr]
    [quote="Thomas"]
    Would be a shame to spend 4-5 hours making changes only to make a few extra $

Thanks Thomas - that was the way I was leaning, but without the experience, wasn't 100% sure. It's good to have the validation.

J
  • Just one more thing - Thomas - would you hold it for a month for the Adsense to come up a bit? (It's earning around $10 - $15 a month at present.)
  • That's really up to you. If you believe that holding it for a month will produce higher revenue, then go ahead and hold. The choice is completely yours and will only effect the sale slightly.

Trinity
  • [quote="Trinity"]
    That's really up to you. If you believe that holding it for a month will produce higher revenue, then go ahead and hold. The choice is completely yours and will only effect the sale slightly.

Trinity

What Trinity said. Personally, I wouldn't bother unless I felt I could make some big changes to revenue and/or had other sites to flip first.