• Got asked a question about a site in coaching (hope he doesn't mind me showing this) and one of the screenshots for the site is this:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg22 ... wo/2-3.jpg

This is a classic DP trap.

Can anyone tell me what doesn't add up with this screenshot?

1 gold star for the correct answer :)
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2010-06-14 20:28:41
  • It's from me, I didn't buy it. But I would not have caught what Thomas did, so if it was less money...no star for me.

[quote="Thomas"]
    Got asked a question about a site in coaching (hope he doesn't mind me showing this) and one of the screenshots for the site is this:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg22 ... wo/2-3.jpg

This is a classic DP trap.

Can anyone tell me what doesn't add up with this screenshot?

1 gold star for the correct answer :)
  • Its been photoshopped.

Trinity
  • What are the signs that it's been photoshopped? (genuine question)

All I noticed was that the numbers don't add up at all.
  • The UnderLined All,Active,Inactive,None ?
    I generated an report in my adsense account and i only saw that, it's late in the night and i might not see something else but i will get back tomorrow if that's not the answer
    For me it looks like the info and tables are compressed to fit the image, the "Save as Report Template" should be in the same row as the date but it's not
  • If 1.24% clicked from 5,700 page impressions that would be 70.68 clicks. Not 412.

If 412 clicked from 5,700 page impressions that would be 7.22% CTR. Not 1.24% CTR.

But the biggest thing that doesn't add up is the eCPM.

eCPM = (earnings/page impressions) * 1000

His eCPM (according to his stats) should be (83.52/5,700) * 1000 = $14.65 earnings for every 1000 impressions. Not $1.05.

His stats say he gets $1.05 eCPM. If you take his impressions 5,700 and divide by 1000 = 5.7. 5.7 * $1.05 = $5.99 estimated earnings.

Hopefully all my math is right.

There are at least 4 different things that don't add up. This is a great lesson for me, because the screen shot looks legit. I will be digging deeper into the number from now on.

Most people hide the clicks, ctr, and ecpm because of adsense tos. That makes it so much easier to fake adsense screen shots. Very interesting.
  • Spot on :) 1 gold star for you :D

That's exactly what I spotted (the eCPM) straight away. You've got to be really careful on DP as screenshots are so easily manipulated. This one is clever as they haven't set a particularly high price for the site and most people would be clicking BIN without really looking into the screenshot.
  • So should we bust this guy? I don't mind a little black hat, but this is fraud.
  • Could do if you want. Report it to a mod - but I doubt they will even both doing anything to be honest.

Yes, it is fraud but that's DP for you.
  • [quote="Thomas"]
    Spot on :) 1 gold star for you :D

That's exactly what I spotted (the eCPM) straight away. You've got to be really careful on DP as screenshots are so easily manipulated. This one is clever as they haven't set a particularly high price for the site and most people would be clicking BIN without really looking into the screenshot.

So can you actually give me another gold start under my name? :P