How important traffic quality?
  • Hi everybody,

I have a question for those who have experience in flipping.

I have a site in the animals/pets niche which I want to turn into my first flip. It doesn't generate any income so far, but it has some traffic (about 7k unique visitors during last month).

The problem is that 90% of this traffic is not coming from Google but from Stumble Upon.

Does this issue affect the value of my site or not really?

And in general, do sites which get their bulk traffic from somewhere else other than Google end up being sold for less?

Thanks
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2010-06-18 10:52:46
  • Generally speaking organic traffic is the most valuable, whereas stumbleupon etc can be considered low value.

If you can show it converts (into revenue) then it doesn't really matter as it will be sold on a multiple of revenue. The kind of people who buy sites with traffic and no revenue tend to be quite savvy so it's unlikely you'll get a premium if selling w/o revenue.
  • And the questions begs, in my case, until I monetize the sites I just bought, how does position (ie 1st page in SERPS) relate to this position? IOW, potential for revenue.

[quote="Thomas"]
    Generally speaking organic traffic is the most valuable, whereas stumbleupon etc can be considered low value.

If you can show it converts (into revenue) then it doesn't really matter as it will be sold on a multiple of revenue. The kind of people who buy sites with traffic and no revenue tend to be quite savvy so it's unlikely you'll get a premium if selling w/o revenue.
  • Hi Mrsparrow,

I can't answer from a flipping point of view but generally speaking Thomas is right on the money - pun intended. If the traffic doesn't convert, the traffic is worthless.

I'm involved with a site with a fair amount of uniques but trying to get that traffic to do anything is like pulling teeth. I'm still hopeful I can get turn this around but I wouldn't wish a site like that on anyone and I wouldn't touch one unless I was fairly certain I could find that hot button.

Another concern about traffic from a source like Stumbleupon is it's likely to be transient. You get a pile of visitors today and it all drops off tomorrow.

Andy
  • use the traffic you already have with the facebook like button [Thomas EDIT: link removed, sorry] and make the site viral on facebook which will bring more traffic.

this post was deleted from bhw vip...but this site still has the original thread.

Btw hope i can post a link to another forum.If not, sorry ..
  • [quote="Gr33n"]

Afraid had to edit that one out. We usually allow links without any problems, but as both of us are donors at the VIP forum that has been cloned, so don't want links there, sorry.

Thomas
  • [quote="Thomas"]
    [quote="Gr33n"]

Afraid had to edit that one out. We usually allow links without any problems, but as both of us are donors at the VIP forum that has been cloned, so don't want links there, sorry.

Thomas

Ok ,sorry
  • [quote="Gr33n"]
    Ok ,sorry

No problem at all. Feel free to post the content here if you wish, would just rather not have the direct link to the offending forum :)
  • [quote="Thomas"]
    [quote="Gr33n"]
    Ok ,sorry

No problem at all. Feel free to post the content here if you wish, would just rather not have the direct link to the offending forum :)

So if I use tinyurl or anonim.to is ok? ..like i did below:huh:

Here is a live example of what i meant.If you click anywhere on that page and check your facebook account you'll see on your wall you just like that page.

and here are the instruction how to do it
  • That'll work. Despite being a closed community we do have a number of mods from various large IM forums so be careful what you are posting if you think it might get you in trouble :)
  • [quote="Thomas"]
    That'll work. Despite being a closed community we do have a number of mods from various large IM forums so be careful what you are posting if you think it might get you in trouble :)

ok thanks...hope I will not be banned from the first day :)
  • Pffft Screw em.
  • [quote="BillyPilgrim"]
    Pffft Screw em.

Merely a friendly heads up :)
  • I never have lived my life in fear nor worry of what others might think. These Black Hats are hardly scrupulous. Not that I have any issue with that, but what should they expect, but equal treatment?
    However, a good caveat to those who might, thanks Thomas.
  • I'd also like to give my 2 cents. BHW is a wannabe blackhat community. There might be about 10 people that actually know how to correctly modify search engine rankings and keep it sticking (staying on top of the big 3 for keywords).

The rest are just idiots showing you various spam methods that go obsolete after some time. If you really wanna know how to blackhat seo, and make money off of it, join various hacking boards and irc channels. Coding is a necessity, period.

Trinity
  • This Facebook gimmick is really nice.
    I'm getting all sorts of filthy thoughts...thanks Gr33n :)

On a later note, it seems not to work...maybe because of my non existing coding abilities
    but has any of you made it to actually work?
  • [quote="mrsparrow"]
    This Facebook gimmick is really nice.
    I'm getting all sorts of filthy thoughts...thanks Gr33n :)

On a later note, it seems not to work...maybe because of my non existing coding abilities
    but has any of you made it to actually work?

Made money off facebook? Is that what your asking?

Trinity
  • [quote="Trinity"]

Made money off facebook? Is that what your asking?

Trinity

No, I'm talking about the code which will automatically post on somebodies wall if they click anywhere on the page...it does't work for me.

But it's also true that I haven't yet made any money off Facebook :)
  • Good luck with that. You won't get working code unless your part of FB Blackhatters (a forum) or you know how to code yourself.

Trinity