How much does site appearance matter?
  • Hi Flippers!

I have been working on a number of niche blogs to sell. I am really working hard on the quality of the content and the SEO to prepare them for buyers seeking affiliate income in various niches. Until now, I was using Flexibility Theme and customising it for each blog with custom colors and images.

I thought my blogs were looking pretty good, but then I got a look at some sites that were selling well on Flippa that were designed using the themes from StudioPress. WOW, they look awesome! I am considering moving to the StudioPress platform for building my blogs, but their themes are not free and Flexibility Theme is.

I guess what I am asking is - how much do looks matter? Will a better looking blog result in a faster, easier sale? Do you think investing in the StudioPress themes will pay off?

Brenda
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2010-06-18 20:44:37
  • Ok, we'll since you're a female think of it like this.

Auction 1 - Hot, Muscular, Toned man with super hot accent and dazzling smile

or

Auction 2 - Skinny man with yellow teeth and bad body odor.

While revenue and traffic are the two most important factors the unique design is a major, major plus in any buyers book.

Trinity
  • LMAO! Well, my blogs don't exactly have yellow teeth and body odor, but I get it!

Thanks!
  • Hah this example made me laugh :) good job.
  • You can get almost all of the functionality of studiopress using various plugins.. you don't need to buy it. It takes a bit of time to work through it, but I think it is worth it as your theme looks more unique, and not cookie cutter. Once you've worked through the setup once, it's much easier.

Something else I worry about - almost all of those studiopress sites have no revenue and no traffic. I'm concerned that if I use that theme that the buyers will be primed to think "just another pretty studiopress site" and not give it the consideration that they should. I have a feeling that there is some guru out there teaching people to throw together new studiopress sites for flipping.

Just some of the reasons that I've been avoiding it.
  • I think it depends.

If there is no revenue, your blog needs to look good.

If there is revenue, it doesn't matter how it looks.

Check out my thread in the success section and go look at my auction and site. You will see my site is pretty ugly but I got 20x monthly revenue for it. (past 3 months average)
  • On the nosy!
  • Most adsense sites look ugly because they're optimized for adsense and nothing else.

Trinity

[quote="Brent Jacoby"]
    I think it depends.

If there is no revenue, your blog needs to look good.

If there is revenue, it doesn't matter how it looks.

Check out my thread in the success section and go look at my auction and site. You will see my site is pretty ugly but I got 20x monthly revenue for it. (past 3 months average)
  • It doesn't matter if the revenue is from adsense or not. If its ugly and makes consistent money it will sell.