Interesting article on Flippa
  • Flippa's blog has had some reasonably good articles lately.

Here's a good one I spotted tonight - have a read.

It basically advises buying aged domains using this free tool

Has anyone tried this? Got any feedback?

I'll probably go ahead and have a play with it tomorrow - but it looks great.
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2010-05-24 14:45:58
  • Haven't used the tool but it definitely looks good. Will give it a try tonight and report back.
  • Wow, didn't realize this had gone mainstream!

A small group of people (including myself at one point) have done this to different extents and while it's typically not (enough) profitable to just buy good-looking aged domains, build sites on them and flip them right away, it makes perfect sense to buy those for a projects that you're going to develop anyway - not only is it much harder to get slapped in the face by Google for excessive SEO, but the 'aged' bit obviously adds value to your auction as well.

By the way, this is the first time I hear about DomainSamurai, been using http://freshdrop.net/ myself.
  • Name.com have a good expiring domain function too. You can buy them (usually about 20 bucks each) but the difference is they don't drop so you retain the age. Usually a few good ones in there if you are prepared to look.

And yes, my thoughts were mainly towards the long flip projects rather than the turnkey type junk that is everywhere these days :)
  • a couple aged domains from my scraper... enjoy:D

domain.tld tld indexed? PR age

tempestone.com com yes PR0 9 yr. old 0000-00-00
    smogreport.com com yes PR0 9 yr. old 0000-00-00
    subtixx.com com yes PR0 6 yr. old 0000-00-00
    teetertray.com com yes PR0 5 yr. old 0000-00-00
    tcctinc.com com yes PR0 7 yr. old 0000-00-00
    spedteacher.com com yes PR0 9 yr. old 0000-00-00
    skawani.com com yes PR0 3 yr. old 0000-00-00
    sitatyr.com com yes PR0 6 yr. old 0000-00-00
    shepeeing.com com yes PR0 5 yr. old 0000-00-00
    quitthegrind.com com yes PR0 9 yr. old 0000-00-00
    rcdaddy.com com yes PR0 2 yr. old 0000-00-00
    stlaurentdentalcentre.com com no PR0 6 yr. old 0000-00-00
    itguysdirect.com com no 0 4 yr. old 0000-00-00
    retributionguild.com com no 0 7 yr. old 0000-00-00
    soapc.com com no 0 7 yr. old 0000-00-00
    qdyone.com com yes 0 2 yr. old 0000-00-00
    sorbitec.com com no 0 12 yr. old 0000-00-00
    spiderevent.com com no 0 3 yr. old 0000-00-00
    solutionspb.com com yes 0 7 yr. old 0000-00-00
    mysciencewebsite.com com no 0 2 yr. old 0000-00-00
    mysciencewebsite.net net no 0 2 yr. old 0000-00-00
    holisterco.net net yes 0 3 yr. old 0000-00-00
    graduateschoolgirls.com com no 0 3 yr. old 0000-00-00
    iturreguianimal.net net PR0 6 yr. old 0000-00-00
    triplejayproductions.com com PR0 8 yr. old 0000-00-00
  • Just out of curiosity - has anybody managed to snatch dropped high PR (5+) domains or is it virtually impossible nowadays without having to go through a messy and expensive backordering process, by the end of which the PR will have been lost anyway?
  • Never found something with as high PR as 5+ , but pr 1-3 is rather common among dropped domains. The PR is something that's a bitch to scrape though. You can only check about 10 domains/ ip address / day without getting your proxies banned from google completely, but even low PR domains are like real gems. Low PR is better than no PR :)
  • [quote="enSo"]
    Never found something with as high PR as 5+ , but pr 1-3 is rather common among dropped domains. The PR is something that's a bitch to scrape though. You can only check about 10 domains/ ip address / day without getting your proxies banned from google completely, but even low PR domains are like real gems. Low PR is better than no PR :)

Forgot about this thread. When I'm looking for domains, export the list into Scrapebox and you can do a mass PR check - saves time doing them manually.

And yes, 1-3 is quite common, any higher would be considered a very good catch :)
  • I did once get a PR5 with the minimum backorder fee of 60$. Didnt have time to develop the domain back then, its a PR3 now! But it is possible to get PR4 PR5 domains but its gets harder to find those for the minimum fee.
  • I would have to agree with Bryan on this. If you're going through the time and expense of buying an aged domain, it'd only make sense to do this for sites you want to develop yourself and hang on to for the medium to long term. I don't see buying an aged domain as being a viable strategy for a short-term (7 day flip), as it'd rarely be cost effective, i.e. the increased cost incurred by the domain is unlikely to be offset by a higher selling price in the end.
  • I've always been interested in the site age vs. domain age. Some say that domain age doesn't play into it in G's index these days, just site age (content that's been indexed). So if a dropped domain then the content could be totally different if you rebuilt the site from scratch. Thoughts and experiences on this?
  • I've been using Domain Samurai for a few days now and have purchased a domain I found on there a couple of days ago.
    The software flagged up an 11 year old domain with a PR5, and for only $69!

After I picked myself up off the floor I ended up in a bidding war with some other beggar and ended up paying $140 for it, I was obviously concerned that it wouldn't turn out to be a genuine PR5 - even after 3rd party checks. However I've now got the domain on my servers and indeed it is a PR5 domain and I'm thinking I've got a bargain here because I could sell a load of PR5 text links for $20 each per month and make my cash back in no time.

So until the next Google re-rank I'm very pleased! Very tempting to just focus my efforts on just building a portfolio of high PR sites and generate a monthly income selling text links.

I was just curious though; if a sites revenue is mainly generated from selling text links on a monthly basis, does that decrease it's value in the eyes of a would-be purchaser on Flippa??
  • No, because you're still generating revenue. However you will lose that PR in the next PR update. The buyer (if paid with a credit card/paypal) could charge back 60 days later.

However if you can come up with multiple revenue streams and then add that to your text link sales everything should be fine. You can simply claim that the site was a genuine PR 5 and sell based on the oppertunity of regaining it. . .

There are a lot of ways you can spin this.

Good luck,
    Trinity
  • Thanks Trin, yeah definitely scared of the re-rank, I don't know why google hasn't dropped the ranking for this site yet since the domain hasn't been active for almost 2 years.

The domain has some deep PR7 backlinks which may be propping it up though.
  • Absolutely best tool for aged domains is Register Compass. I really like the guys at Market Samurai but they dropped the ball on Domain Samurai. RC has some internal tools for verifying pagerank.

Sites fake pagerank by looking for google bots, and redirecting it to a high pagerank site.

Detecting Fake pagerank, is pretty easy - type the URL into google and look at the cache. The cache will not be that of the site with Fake pagerank, it will be google, yahoo cnn (whatever was used in the redirect).

Dave