Wretched Go-Daddy - Domain Transfer Issues
  • Just bought or think I bought a site with a domain registered on Godaddy. Just checked the who-is and it says they won't let the domain be transferred. Was hoping to do a relevatively quick flip but now not sure what the score is. Reluctant to take over the domain but not actually have access to it for a few more months. The site is bad but has potential I think...

Any clever ways round this. I thought from a PM exchange I had with Thomas on the WF that it wasnt a problem.

Presumably this means that Go-Daddy is a pretty hopeless site to buy domain names through with a view to flipping... Not that it really applies to me as I hate Go-Daddy and normally buy my domains through fxdomains.com who are the cheapest I have found at just under $8.[/i]
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2010-06-29 11:14:16
  • The 'not allowed to transfer' means that you can't transfer it to another registrar as opposed to another owner so no reason to worry :)

GoDaddy are notorious with their 60 day lock - they apply it even if something simple, such as the contact information of the owner, changes. But as said, it simply means that the domain can't be transferred outside GoDaddy during this period. Transfers to other GoDaddy accounts are still completely OK.

That said, I would still recommend staying as far away from GoDaddy as possible. I rarely criticise a company publicly (well, half publicly in our case :)) but this is one company I don't want to (but because of the nature of site flipping, I have to - over and over again) do any business with. Their poor business practices and virtually non-existent customer support cause nausea.
  • Yeah, I figured that out. I am trying to get the domain transferred away from godaddy.... Apart from anything else they are much more expensive and this domain expires soon. I suspect I may have paid too much for it... but what the hell... Was only $35 for a pagerank 3 autoblog with poor monetization ($5 a month) and a horrid design..... Think I ought to be able to flip it quickly all being well... if I can just boost the monetization a bit.

As a matter of interest do you think twitter accounts add much to the sale value of a flip? Also do you have experience of fxdomains?

I guess the reason godaddy is so popular is the ease of transferring domains between owners.
  • [quote="justin"]
    As a matter of interest do you think twitter accounts add much to the sale value of a flip? Also do you have experience of fxdomains?

Quite frankly, it depends on how much time it will take you to set up a Twitter account with enough tweets and a nice lot of followers. If you can do it in less than a few hours then you should go for it, as in the eyes of the right buyer, it CAN add a lot of value. If it would take you longer than that, don't bother (unless it's an expensive site) as the average increase in your auctions' end price most definitely won't be enough to justify a full day's work.

[quote="justin"]
    I guess the reason godaddy is so popular is the ease of transferring domains between owners.

Not really. Other registrars allow much easier/quicker domain pushing. I'm with both NameCheap (because of their free whois privacy) and Name.com (because of the powerful control panel) and both allow domains to be pushed without any hassles.
  • Cool... Then I am going to insist they push their domain to my fxdomains account, which also gives free privacy for the first year if you buy 5 domains and not to make it stay with Godaddy.

Yeah, I have some automated twitter software which is pretty cool..... So think I will just set that up to run and forget it. If nothing else the automated posts should generate some traffic to the site.
  • I bought 4 sites with GoDaddy domains. I just pointed the nameservers to my hosting. I like namecheap, too. Oh and don't research domain names on GD. I did and found ALL of them scooped up the next day.
  • [quote="BillyPilgrim"]
    Oh and don't research domain names on GD. I did and found ALL of them scooped up the next day.

+1

This has happened to me more than once.
  • I always research domains using this site:

http://ajaxwhois.com/

I've never had a problem with any domains being stolen.
  • How long does a domain push take on Go_daddy? I would have thought it should be pretty immediate.
  • [quote="justin"]
    How long does a domain push take on Go_daddy? I would have thought it should be pretty immediate.

From GoDaddy account to another GoDaddy account - 10 minutes

From GoDaddy account to another registrar - 4 day hold + however long it takes the new registrar to set the domain up (usually a few days tops).
  • [quote="Brent Jacoby"]
    I always research domains using this site:

http://ajaxwhois.com/

I've never had a problem with any domains being stolen.

I usually use Micro Niche Finder to bulk-researched, sometimes 200 at a time, works perfectly.
    Btw, I'm with Godaddy for many years now and never had problems with them. Plus most of the folks that have sites have accounts at Godaddy, and they do prefer it when you sell it to them to transfer it to their Godaddy account instead of them having to open yet another domain registrar. Also it's a matter of being the most popular among the 'average' crowd, so that's what goes best, I guess.