How to choose a profitable niche?!
  • Maybe it's a pretty dumb question to ask,but how do you guys choose a niche that is profitable?I googled it and found lot(i mean lots and lots) of answers and techniques on how to choose a profitable niche.Could you guys take some time to clarify this and suggest me a method that works for you? :huh:
    Post edited by Unknown User at 2010-07-26 07:08:02
  • I make MFA sites right now so a combination of Micro Niche Finder and Market Samurai work for me.

Buddy
  • Same here, although lately I'm finding myself using more and more MS and less and less MNF...
  • Market Samurai and look at the advanced Options. Typically I want to make sure that the following criteria is met:

At least 50 searches a day, ideally SEO COmpetition of less than 300K. I also look at the PR and Backlinkis of the first 1 to 2 pages and see how competitive it is. I also look at the OCI and SEO value and make sure they are reasonable, which gives an indication of whether or not its likely to be possible.
  • While I use search volume numbers, I'm not convinced they matter beyond what is on the first page. That's who we have to beat.
  • Oh god, this is a hard question.
    My thoughts on this have always been the following:

If you like something you can make money from it. If you like playing the guitar you can make money from creating an eBook or video series teaching people.
    If you like horses you can make a site on that.

If you're not interested in what you're making a site about you will most probably fail

Then if you have your giant niche (How to play the guitar is a big niche) you can use many different techniques to make money from it.

Stefan
  • Stefan,
    This is nonsense. I make money on things I have zero interest in. None of my sites are things I am personally interested in.
  • Sorry, I made a small mistake there, I should've said

For me, if I'm not interested in what I'm making a site about I'll fail

Since that's how my mind works ^^ That's why I never got big in the CPA business ;)

Although I do think you can make more money from a site you're interested in than a site you're not interested in.

Stefan
  • It is a bit of both. You can certainly make money in things you know and enjoy but I have plenty of sites that I know nothing about that I make money from.

Whatever you decide you need to do some research. If you are for example the worlds expert on the "lesser spotted red necked bluefinch" and no one is looking for information about it then you will not make money from it. I maintain that you have to have a formula which you can apply to everything. I think that it is a combination of searches, PPC value for those searches, competitiveness, and PR / Links of the top 10 results...
  • And that's it. My interests have very little search traffic and I like to keep business and pleasure separate.

B

[quote="justin"]
    It is a bit of both. You can certainly make money in things you know and enjoy but I have plenty of sites that I know nothing about that I make money from.

Whatever you decide you need to do some research. If you are for example the worlds expert on the "lesser spotted red necked bluefinch" and no one is looking for information about it then you will not make money from it. I maintain that you have to have a formula which you can apply to everything. I think that it is a combination of searches, PPC value for those searches, competitiveness, and PR / Links of the top 10 results...
  • Hey Billy, Justin,

I agree with the both of you here. Ofcourse it's important that you're able to rank for these niches but it's not EVERYTHING.
    I don't know if you guys have ever checked out product launches but it can make you a lot of money, even on tiny markets but also on giant markets.
    Anyone who's good at product launches will be able to get a giant profit out of any market really, as long as you can make a quality product you're fine.

@Billy, I love mixing it up bbut that's because IM is my pleasure :)

Stefan
  • Thanks to all who gave their suggestions.

@kislany, What do you generally do for the content in the site? Do you buy them or write it yourself or get a article from the MS module and spin it or the content is not not unique.That's lot of variables to choose from ;) lol
  • I write them. I've been a freelance at Elance so I know to write good content articles. I only outsource the articles for backlinks (like Eza etc).
    Will never put low quality articles on my sites, ever. Not only that but I use extra LSI themed keywords and many times I bring up a site on top positions with very little backlinks compared to my competitors simply because I give Google what it wants :D
  • That was informative.I too,am looking forward to build MFA sites by seeing your success.I guess your model can be easily replicated if you don't mind ;) Btw, the theme that you use in your sites, is that from xsite pro too or something else?
  • Yes, but it's not my idea in the first place. It's all based on the Xfactor model on making mini MFA sites, just did my own thing afterwards with the flipping part. In a nutshell It's nothing more than writing articles, doing some onsite and offsite seo to drive traffic, bringing the site to page 1, make some money from Adsense and then sell the site. Rinse and repeat.
    I'm not using a theme, I simply do my own thing in Xsitepro. No two of my sites are identical, I hate assembly line structure.
  • And a more comprehensive manual for MFA sites is called "The Fat Cat Blueprint". I really like John's, I just don't know about his method of using EZA only for back linking.
  • For me that method works. I'm just bored too easily to only write articles, so I do other things as well.
    I also like the fat cat blueprint, but personally I do like xfactor better, I find it more thorough.
  • Do you buy PR websites to build your niche website upon or do you buy a normal one and then increase it's PR?
  • My experience is that PR doesn't matter much for flipping MFA sites. People want sites already making money.

Buddy
  • But as far as i know those sites with a PR 1 or @ sell pretty well than sites with no PR.I saw kislany's sites with PR2 always.That's what made me ask this question